Heavy 10 project

Just wanted to extend a hearty THANK YOU to Greg for taking the time to post all his pics and all the accompanying info. :yourock:

Hey Greg, how's that belt holding up so far?

I am glad you got some use out of the pics, kinda funny how I never imagined that other people would get use out of my pics when I posted them. If I had known that people would be using them as a reference I would have been a little more detailed. :dunno: The belt is holding up well, very grippy and quiet too, it doesn't require a lot of tension either. How did the shims work for You ?, sounds like you did ok.

I am glad you got some use out of the pics, kinda funny how I never imagined that other people would get use out of my pics when I posted them. If I had known that people would be using them as a reference I would have been a little more detailed. :dunno: The belt is holding up well, very grippy and quiet too, it doesn't require a lot of tension either. How did the shims work for You ?, sounds like you did ok.

Shims are in and I got her within tolerance so..so far so good. :) Oh, a PM's on the way to ya about the shims. I think I'm gonna try your method on a belt, probably the same one. Just gotta check the length needed but I like what you did there with soldering the ends. Looks pretty secure to me and should last a long while. Looking forward to trying it.

Hi
this is a great thread & a great job on the lathe.

:thumbsup:

good look with the lathe & have a good time playing with it, i would.

:drool:

Greg, did you secure the lathe to the floor somehow or do you have it just sitting on the leveling bolts?

Greg, did you secure the lathe to the floor somehow or do you have it just sitting on the leveling bolts?

It's just sitting on the leveling bolts, I have been using it and she's stable and not moving. I have heard good and bad things about rubber or neoprene leveling feet, I thought about using them but it works well without them.
I gotta say this, this lathe is an absolute joy to use, it is quite the reward for my efforts and time. The belt is silent and grippy as well in case you where wondering about that. It just tickles me to oil her up and use it for a day and see the oil dripping from all the shafts and know it is getting oil and working as it should. How's your lathe coming along tony?

Hey Splat-

I just have mine sitting on the leveling feet. I have a 1965 floor model, which does not have a case iron stand, but a square, 3/8 inch bent steel stand. But not a bench model. It never moves at all.

By the way, how do you like your Teco NEV-101-H1 vfd? Is it quiet? Does the motor squeal or whine? My older Teco VFD is great, but can make certain motors whine a bit. I swap the VFD between machines.

Thanks!

Bernie

Just spotted this thread, a mighty long read.....
Excellent work and I really like the light, except for the reflector style it is quite like mine.

BTW, the rental place wants their swarf back! :LOL:

some vids I just shot of the southbend. I have a lot to learn about taking vids.

Oh well if anyone is interested I posted some vids on you tube as woodtickgreg titled south bend lathe.

Last edited:
Woodtick I was or am reading page #4 where you made some shims for your spindle.The front spindle cap where you made shims is the thickness the same on both sides?I now understand that the front spindle cap may be shim different than the back cap since trying to achieve .001 on both ends.You did a good job of explaining how to properly adjust the spindle so thank you.I like your ideal of using the scroll saw to cut the brass,I will give that a try also.Woodtick is the brass available at hardware stores such as Ace?----kroll

Back