Heavy 10 project

Just looked at every page in this thread again. I can't believe it's been 4 years already. Actually you and I got ours within a few days of each other, Greg! Seeing this thread and thinking about my own Heavy 10 refurb makes me bust out a :D .

I :clapping: and take my hat off to you and anyone (including myself :p) else that takes on such a tedious, yet rewarding, challenge of refurbing these old beauties.

Tony thank you, I watched your work on your lathe with great enthusiasm and I enjoy seeing anyone's work on their lathes, or any machine for that matter. The funny thing is if you read this thread from the start I really didn't know anything about my heavy 10. I think a lot of us are like that, we just learn as we go along and fix things as we find them. I have had guys contact me and ask me for advice and help on their lathes, I never expected that to happen. It thrills me when I can help someone with their lathe. 4 years? really? I moved 2 years ago, had to take the lathe apart to move it, at least I new how to do that and how everything works. I still do not have the metal shop done, the wood shop is almost done so the metal shop will be next and the South Bend will live again. I really do need to use her. 4 years...............

Greg, I was in the same boat. I only knew what I read about lathes. Geez, forget refurbishing...I never even used one before! But yeah brother, we learned a lot though, didn't we? This place was definitely a major help and I thank everyone who takes the time to post help for others. God bless you and everyone else here for their time and effort! Geez, you moved 2 years ago already?! I remember you talking briefly about that. I know how it goes but come on, brother! Get a move on! Your Heavy 10....she's calling your name pal. She says, "Come back to me...I'm getting rusty again..." :)

Here's a couple of older pics of the heavy 10 after taking it apart and moving it again. This is the new metal shop side of the basement. at this point I was still working on it and still am but it is coming along nicely and the south bend is in a good spot.

12-21-16 phone pics 379.jpg 12-21-16 phone pics 375.jpg

Woodtick,

Looks great , u have a nice setup, enough room to do a lots of work(I see your SBL oils- too)
Regards........Raz

I just went back and looked at this thread again, I can't believe it has been 6 years. A lot has happened to me since then. Scored more machines, filled the shop and garage with salvaged metals, got a new job that has me working 12 hour days, and that leaves no time for the shop, but it has gone a long way to getting me back on my feet after the divorce. If I can make it till the end of the year I'll be able to cut back on some overtime and ramp up the shop time. Very cool to read my old thread again, I knew nothing about the southbend when I got it, now it's my favorite machine!

Just saw this thread and read through it.... Wow, really amazing job on the restoration! I'm just starting on a 9" cabinet model I picked up, and hope I can end up in the same ballpark as yours.

I;m tying to install two 45 degree GITS oil cups into a saddle of a heavy 10 with no luck. they came out 2 years ago and I cannot get them started and no way to drive them in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I;m tying to install two 45 degree GITS oil cups into a saddle of a heavy 10 with no luck. they came out 2 years ago and I cannot get them started and no way to drive them in. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I did not remove those on mine for that very reason. Some thoughts are to check the i.d. of the hole and the o.d. of the tube to see how close they are. You may have to open up the hole or sand the tube to get them closer. You may also need to make a clamp to tap on to hold the tube while you tap on it.

Back