Heavy 10 project

turning-finish-001.jpg turning-finish-002.jpg turning-finish-003.jpg turning-finish-004.jpg A couple more pics of the finish I got on the hot roll with a brazed carbide cutter, and not at it's faster speed, I still gotta try that. I also got a cheapie shars 6" 3 jaw chuck, for quicly chucking something up and turning it it will be just fine. It seems to be decent quality and smooth enough, nice finish on it. I mounted the backing plate and gave it a trueing cut , took 3 tries to make contact all the way around. took off about .012" ish. I have not checked it for runout yet. I still like the independent 4 jaw for accurately setting things up. Notice that there's chips on the lathe! I still have to get the tailstock set, but she's cutting!
turning-finish-001.jpgturning-finish-002.jpgturning-finish-003.jpgturning-finish-004.jpg

Last edited:
Greg, your journey has been an interesting one, and the results are evidence of the successful application of your skills and determination. A job well done. You'll get the finer points figured out, don't worry about that. It's always a bit of a learning experience with a new, or new to you machine.

Plus the machine looks great! I have to ask though, how did you determine the chuck size for it? And what is that chuck size?

Greg, your journey has been an interesting one, and the results are evidence of the successful application of your skills and determination. A job well done. You'll get the finer points figured out, don't worry about that. It's always a bit of a learning experience with a new, or new to you machine.

Plus the machine looks great! I have to ask though, how did you determine the chuck size for it? And what is that chuck size?
Thanks Tony, the 3 jaw is a 6". The 4 jaw is an 8", I did not plan to buy an 8" it just came up for sale on craigslist with some other stuff, brand new and still packed in cosmoline and cheap. I will have to be careful with the 8" when the jaws are opened all the way, just roll it by hand to make sure I have clearance and don't hit the ways. Both seem to fit well, I like the mass of the 8". As far as how did I determine the size? Well by looking here at what others where running on there's.

Greg,

Love your updates. I followed this thread all the way from "I'm just gonna clean it up and run it" all the way through, well, today.

Fantastic effort and results.

I'm with Tony, that chuck looks HUGE on there! Did you notice any increase in vibration with either chuck or are they well balanced?

Again, great job!

Greg,

Love your updates. I followed this thread all the way from "I'm just gonna clean it up and run it" all the way through, well, today.

Fantastic effort and results.

I'm with Tony, that chuck looks HUGE on there! Did you notice any increase in vibration with either chuck or are they well balanced?

Again, great job!

Thanks, I did not notice any vibration with either chuck, even at high speeds, both seem to run true. IMO the mass seems to smooth things out and cancel vibration.:dunno: But I agree the 8" looks really big, and the 6" seems to stick out farther, they do seem to run good though.
Next project is a wells bandsaw I recently picked up.:))

Thanks, I did not notice any vibration with either chuck, even at high speeds, both seem to run true. IMO the mass seems to smooth things out and cancel vibration.:dunno: But I agree the 8" looks really big, and the 6" seems to stick out farther, they do seem to run good though.
Next project is a wells bandsaw I recently picked up.:))

Cool. Standing by to watch that project too!

Greg, do you remember what size shims you went with for your spindle? Thanks.

Greg, do you remember what size shims you went with for your spindle? Thanks.

Hey buddie, read post #110 in this thread, I think it will answer your questions. Also look at a few post before and after that for some pointers.

Just wanted to extend a hearty THANK YOU to Greg for taking the time to post all his pics and all the accompanying info. :yourock:

Hey Greg, how's that belt holding up so far?

Back