Has anyone made an electro magnetic chuck from the guts of a microwave?

I just reviewed. The power supply is 12V at 10 amps.

Note too that in the video he wired the two coils in series:

1596225284670.png

So IF his coils were like mine (that I mentioned in post #14) and were around 1 ohm each.
He would have 12V across 2 ohms or about 6A thru the coils.
(His power supply could provide 10A, but he only was using 6A.)

-brino

One thing I thought about watching this video... We work hard indication in out vises, I could see it being very easy for the top of this to not be parallel with the surface of your machine. How to get this totally flat/parallel... I'm not sure. Ideas anyone?

One thing I thought about watching this video... We work hard indication in out vises, I could see it being very easy for the top of this to not be parallel with the surface of your machine. How to get this totally flat/parallel... I'm not sure. Ideas anyone?

What type of machine? On a mill/surface grinder/shaper, you can bolt it down and grind/mill it in place. On a drill-press you can mill/grind it flat, then have it be about as accurate as your drill-press table was anyway.

Yeah, a surface grinder seems the way to go..if you're lucky enough to own one. This just seems to good of a project to NOT do. I am about sure there are tons of free microwave on Craigslist. I wouldn't think it mattered if they worked or not, but bigger/better.

I would use it on my drill press.
I would agree, mill it and or use the surface grinder, take small cuts. Good enough for a drill press

I would love to build one of these but I can't figure out what I would use it for? If I had a surface grinder yes! I don't think it would hold on a mill.
Robert

I don't have a mag chuck but I have been told it's wise to stand clear when you first start out since if it's not strong enough you can launch your workpiece pretty dramatically.

John

Note too that in the video he wired the two coils in series:

View attachment 332094

So IF his coils were like mine (that I mentioned in post #14) and were around 1 ohm each.
He would have 12V across 2 ohms or about 6A thru the coils.
(His power supply could provide 10A, but he only was using 6A.)

-brino

brino,
I missed this,
This simple wiring would be hooked up to a DC power supply?
What would I look to purchase that would support this application?

It looks like he is using only the secondary windings? Does he say what voltage and amperage he is using thru these? Is it line voltage?
Robert

In a MOT, the larger windings are the primary. He discards the secondary. He is driving it with 12V DC at 10 amps using a switching power supply.

Another thing... He is going to regret not putting a proper strain relief on his power cord. Once the cord becomes damaged (and it will with his configuration), he is either going to have to start over, or dig out the connections to remake them.

Also, I imagine that most people would abandon the project one-quarter of the way into the hand filing of the top!

Back