Has anyone made an electro magnetic chuck from the guts of a microwave?

It looks like he is using only the secondary windings? Does he say what voltage and amperage he is using thru these? Is it line voltage?
Robert

I really like the idea. He uses the larger diameter wire coils, throw away the smaller one.

Hope to make one one day

It looks like he is using only the secondary windings? Does he say what voltage and amperage he is using thru these? Is it line voltage?
Robert
12 v, 10 amp. looks like DC

Reactions: rwm
I have not made a chuck, but I did make an electromagnet for a demonstration. It was very easy.
It was a kids science thing, I had demos of Lens' Law, a home-build hand-crank generator (magnets and coils), wireless power, a Jacob's ladder from an old furnace transformer, etc.

I based the electro-magnet on two videos I saw.....I will try to dig them up. One showed a home-made mag-drill based on one of these magnets.

Newer microwave ovens use much smaller parts.
I went to the local recycle centre and borrowed a couple big, old microwaves from the pile. I took them home removed the transformers and took them back.

It looks like he is using only the secondary windings?

Right! I cut off the primary windings.

In the demo I had this electomagnet with a big handle on it powered by two AA cells in series; only 3VDC!
You could stick the magnet to a 4"x12" piece of 1/4" flat steel stock, flip the switch, stand on the steel and not be able to pull the magnet off!
Flip the switch again and it lifts right off.

Only one person was able to pull it off and that was late in the afternoon, so I switched to the second set of batteries, and again no one beat it.
That did surprise me; only two sets of batteries for a day's worth of demos.

-brino

EDIT: I looked it up, I recorded 3Amps at 3Volts and was able to lift over 100lbs of steel. With a better power supply, (maybe 12V?) I think it would make a grinder chuck.

Last edited:
You guys seem to know what your talking about.
Once I find a used microwave, I'll be consulting you guys.
DC? He hooked it up with AC. Did I miss something?
You must know, I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.
I can wire a shop but I don't understand motor windings or microwave transformers.

I have an old microwave currently sitting in my shop on my workbench. I got it for free, and for the past year, its only purpose in life is re-heating coffee every so often when I get busy and it gets too cold.

It suddenly looks like I've got some more shop projects for this weekend!

You guys seem to know what your talking about.
Once I find a used microwave, I'll be consulting you guys.
DC? He hooked it up with AC. Did I miss something?
You must know, I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.
I can wire a shop but I don't understand motor windings or microwave transformers.

He used a small power supply, looked to be a 12VDC. You would want something current limited as your resistance is going to be pretty low. :) He did connect that power supply to the AC main, but the coil looked to be on DC. I bet if you asked him, he would even send you a link to the PSU he used.

That was extremely cool!

Back