Has anyone made an electro magnetic chuck from the guts of a microwave?

Wow, that is interesting and amazingly clever. But man, that guy really needs a milling machine!

The thing leaks somewhere ! Besides , if it isn't good enough for the kitchen , it sure won't go into the garage ! :big grin:

KEWL!

Say will most any transformer work? I have several large ones out of old CNC machines, physically four times bigger.

KEWL!

Say will most any transformer work? I have several large ones out of old CNC machines, physically four times bigger.

I don't see why not. The design just uses the laminations as a core for an electromagnet. Some transformers are pretty easy to disassemble, using rivets or bolts instead of welds to hold the core together. If you have that type, it would be easy enough to test.

In this application the windings are driven with DC. Laminated cores are used to reduce eddy-current losses when the the core is used as a transformer, which is not the case here. So you could also make one of these just using soft iron pieces and winding your own coil(s). To concentrate the magnetic field where you want it, you want the magnetic-field path to be gap-free so the fingers of the "E" need to be machined flat, along with the mating surfaces on the long portion of the "E". I'd be inclined to screw them together, but welding would probably work, too. Long portion: the | (vertical) section. The fingers: the "--" (horizontal) pieces. Of course, in use the "E" would be rotated so it is a "dead E" :laughing: .

I'm reminded of a really old (and bad) physics joke. If an "M" represents a centimeter, what does a "W" represent? Answer: a dyne-centimeter. UGH!

Back