Has anyone made an electro magnetic chuck from the guts of a microwave?

I have an old microwave currently sitting in my shop on my workbench. I got it for free, and for the past year, its only purpose in life is re-heating coffee every so often when I get busy and it gets too cold.

It suddenly looks like I've got some more shop projects for this weekend!
Game on!!!

Just note he used two microwave transformers for the chuck.

We've been discussing a new microwave, now I know what to do with the old one! I had no idea..

A sneaky source of ready to go magnetic chucks is magnetic door locks...

On another tack, it is possible to make an electromagnet that grabs Aluminum; I built one. It's basically a shaded pole motor set up so the field travels inward radially. Buzzes, but holds Aluminum!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Induced currents in Aluminum don't count! A lot of stuff you would not think is magnetic actually is including people. Does aluminum have an unpaired spin?
On a more practical note; what was the epoxy resin he used to embed the magnets?
Robert

Induced currents in Aluminum don't count! A lot of stuff you would not think is magnetic actually is including people. Does aluminum have an unpaired spin?
On a more practical note; what was the epoxy resin he used to embed the magnets?
Robert

Looked like "potting compound" as commonly used in the electronics industry. Cheap and readily available :)

Ah crap, I've got the old microwave sitting in the storage trailer/shed, and I just loaded up the old (running) dishwasher yesterday onto the scrap trailer to haul away.
'WANT_To-Do' just increased by two projects, - possibly.

As a side note, the commonly-available JB Weld has magnetic iron oxide as a filler. You don't want to use it if you don't want a magnetic material in your application. And using it to glue down super-magnets gets real interesting. On the other hand, it might work to glue the pole pieces of your made-from-scratch electromagnet together.

Once you add in the cost of the magnet wire for a total DIY approach, it actually might be more cost effective to BUY a couple of MOTs (a commonly-used acronym) from Ebay, but, as has been mentioned, you'd want the old-school type with some real heft to them. Microwaves that use a switching power supply won't work for this application. And if you can get 'em for free....a no-brainer there....

Last edited:
Back