[How-To] Harig Grind All #1 Disassembly and adjustment

Hello kenpo11
I followed your thread with great interest as I have an old Harig no. 1 also.
When I bought mine, it came without the V-block adjusting screw.
I tried to order one directly at Harig's but despite they advertise with "world class tools" (which they are) they will not send parts overseas.
I live in the Netherlands.
I was wondering if you could help me to get a V-block adjusting screw from them. Maybe we can have direct contact to continue a conversation.
Do you have an email address that I can write to?

Great idea!
Now that would explain a few things. Thats a possibility for sure. Thats another avenue to follow. I took it apart 4 times total and ground the back race down with .0002 each time. It is now within .0004 on runout. But.....we have found yet another snake in the wood pile. I can adjust the V-block up and down within tenths of center...BUT, now there is .0015 error at 90° high and low on the sides of the V-Block when it's spun sideways. High on one side at 90° and low on other side at 180°. Which seems to suggest your theory. Possible there could be a shim missing? Theres no evidence on the V-block to suggest enough wear to account for a Rockwell hardened V-block to be that far out of center.
Don't have a parts manual to check for shims...I did call Harig to order the fine adjustment screw for the V-block...A new V-block....$400.00.
Not happening...May just try to braze a thin layer of material on the low side and lap it down gently until it reaches tolerance, unless there is a shim missing.
Thanks for your suggestion...I will definately pursue that theory.
Hey boss I bought a harig no 1 at auction and darn if I found my fine adjustment screw for V block was stripped out....how much was yours from harig???

Last edited:
Back