Hard Drawing vs CAD

I I really don't care to use real CAD programs. I find their input methods to be too tedious.
That's the issue for me as well. If there was a real user friendly CAD program that could put out a good DXF file that's usable by CAM programs, I'd be all over it. There might be one out there that I haven't found yet. Someone please show me a simple CAD program that can export a DXF. I don't really need a super powerful package, but if it's there as an option, why not.

Marcel

That's the issue for me as well. If there was a real user friendly CAD program that could put out a good DXF file that's usable by CAM programs, I'd be all over it. There might be one out there that I haven't found yet. Someone please show me a simple CAD program that can export a DXF. I don't really need a super powerful package, but if it's there as an option, why not.

Marcel

Marcel / All,

Everyone is different with different preferences but, I found Alibre/Geomagic to be very easy to learn. I tried many other programs and this was very intuitive for me.

Here's a youtube video of how to do the very basic operations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPySDlF9Zpw

Ray

I am a furnituremaker by trade (53 years old). I drew everything by hand until about 8 years ago. I went to work in a large custom cabinet shop in the engineering department. I learned how to use a very customised version of Visio. I got fast and good at it. It is very accurate. I did all the concept drawings, shop drawings, and CNC drawings for million dollar plus jobs in a fifty man shop.
We tried Autocad, Solidworks, Revit and others. They all have hugh learning curves and cost a lot to "try".
When I left the owner gave me a laptop and a copy of the drawing program. I could not live without it now. It doesn't matter if I am drawing a piece of custom furniture, a custom room interior, or a steady rest for my lathe.

I had mechanical drawing for one year back in high school and remember the basics. That said I do ROUGH drawings by hand. I have played a bit with Sketchup (as it was free). I think i could learn it if i had time. I may start another thread asking about ease of learning the various CAD programs and the pros and cons of each.

I am a newbie to both pencil and CAD. I retired last April from an operations role where there were always discussions and sketches on napkins.
Now that I am the one having to convert those napkins to something concrete, I am finding need for better tools.
Started with hand sketching and trig and wrecked too many pieces of metal. I found a program that was right price, and certainly has all the tools that I think I will ever need. Program is Turbo-CAD.
They have an almost free version and a professional version. So far don't see any need for the bigger hammer. This is one I am working on because I couldn't get the sketch right to make the spokes on the rotary table.

Jim

Flywheel Absolute Angles.JPG

Flywheel Absolute Angles.JPG

Marcel

The newer versions of Sketchup will output STL natively. Most CAM have no problem with it.

i myself have used both but found that full size hand drawn blueprints are best for me . one reason it elimanates all errors when actual size . two i've built furniture for years and like to hand draw these also .

I stink at drawing, even my stick figures look bad.
So far, I just use a third method...my mind and imagination.
I'm currently following along on Jumps4's thread "CNC from sketch to part the way I do it" and trying to learn CAD drawing with eMachineshop program.
For me, it's much easier since I can get the dimension, angle, and such correct with little effort.
Mistakes are a simple "Delete" or "Go Back" button away without having to erase or start over.
It also allows me to zoom in or out for different views and a 3D rendition so I can look to see if what I'm drawing looks anything like what my mind invisioned.
Another advantage for me is the ability to save the file for later completion or for use at a later date all kept in one file location. No hunting through drawers or cabinets while "wondering where did I put that".

It depends on what I'm making. For one-off and basic parts, I'll do up a quick sketch. I recently picked up a whiteboard from Value Village and find that handy for the purpose.

When I need specific dimensions or angles, or for complex projects, I go to CAD. I'll draw up just enough to get the info I need, then add the dimensions and print it out. Most of my design work happens in my head while I'm working. Not the best method for sharing.

I was taught to draw by hand and was (still am) pretty good at it. Then my brother turned me on to a little drafting programme on a MacPlus and I was hooked. Now it's pretty much all AutoCAD for me except for concept sketches and thumbnails. Precision, ease of editing revisions, and the pretty colours are easier for my weakening eyes.

-frank

Back