Hard Drawing vs CAD

Like many others here, I learned on the boards. I actually grew up hand drawing house plans with my father's company. Really started at the blue print machine. I can still smell the ammonia from the old Ozalid. But, for the last 20 years or so, I have used CAD, both at work and at home. Auto Cad is the tool at work. Turbo Cad is the tool at home. I do most of my work for the shop in 3d, both metal and wood. The best thing I ever learned in CAD was how to use "paper space" or "layouts" depending on the software you are using. That's how you get multiple 2D views of the same 3D model to print. Most of the drawing I produce for the shop are not ones I would be proud to show to others. I don't spend a lot of time on line weights, etc. I do make them legible, but not commercial quality.

I do keep a pad of paper in the shop for quick sketches of simple parts.

I also miss the "art" of hand drafting. I was pretty good in my day, but I've seen some draftsmen that were real artists. Their drawing were just amazing. I've seen very few CAD drawings that can compete in that arena.

Roger

I use Autodesk Inventor at work and at home. 3D modelling is a great way to visualise components on their own & assembled, many issues can be sorted before any manufacturing takes place.
I model & produce manufacturing drawings for pretty much everything I build at home. Also provides a good detailed record of what you made.
The beauty of Parametric Modelling is the speed at which Models & Drawings can be altered as designs change.

David.T

It's amazing... This thread has been going on for a while and people are still mentioning CAD programs I never heard of. For cry'n out loud, how many different CAD programs are there? Any guesses; is it between 1000 or 10,000? LOL...

Ray

If I just need to figure a few things out, I draw old school. CAD edits faster, and allows for direct G-code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, if project has many components, I will use CAD, but if it's a one-off, or just a repair job I will never see again, I either do it in my head, or if it's complex, I'll sketch it on paper. Once in a while if I am feeling lazy, I will use the computer to figure angles and plot hole patterns. I rarely get out the K&E box any more.

If I were using CNC, I would definitely go with CAD/CAM if the complexity of the part would justify it. I would never do it just "because" or for fun.

I have work with manual drafting for 30 years and 15 years autocad
Both will do the job cad you takes time learn and manual drafting does take to long learn
IF I just a few drawing old way work better I have use my drafting machine and templates, for over 15 years and sits in box

Dave

Back