Hard Drawing vs CAD

I use AutoCAD MEP and Revit every day at work to model systems in 3D, so I naturally go to it for even simple sketches. It's helpful to print out PDFs of my drawings so I can open them up on my IPad... I started out hand drafting many moons ago, CAD drafting is so much faster for me now.

I've dabbled in CAD but never really got the hang of it. I get frustrated and just draw on paper, because that's how I learned in the beginning. I can spit out a line drawing on paper pretty quickly especially on a drafting machine. But if I ever want to do some extensive CNC work, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet one day and really spend some time learning CAD. Like Ray said, you have to make a commitment to learn it, and I've never really made that commitment. I have made half hearted commitments over the years, but never really stuck to it. I think if I didn't know how to draw proficiently with a pencil, I'd be more motivated to learn CAD.:dunno:

Marcel

I hope not to change the channel too much but, is anyone else amazed by how many different CAD packages exist? There must be a hundred common ones and twice as many less common. -And they're all different... Maybe that's why a lot of folks stay away from it.

Ray

I would say I do most of my drawings in CAD... (Mastercam). I use it at work and it will do way more than I need at home. Tool paths and such. If a part is simple I will not even make a drawing. I usually just make a list of dimensions I.D.=, O.D.= ,Length=, Width=...etc.

CAD for me is great and much quicker to layout things than on paper.

I recently used it work out a 3 hole and 4 hole bolt pattern for a mounting plate for a chuck. The clamping pockets were not swung from the same center point. I made this (see attachment) drawing from start to finish in about 15 minutes. I probably would have spent 3 times longer with just an eraser till I got everything worked out on paper.

Link to the plate thread:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/20573-Rotary-table-Chuck-mounting-plate

View attachment MOUNTING PLATE 10 INCH.pdf

I prefer to use CAD - I have used AutoCAD, Solidedge, Sketchup, and DesignCAD. Currently use DesignCAD and Sketchup in my job, so that is what I use at home. Sketchup is pretty simple for 3d, but has limitations - partially my own, since I'm still learning it. DesgnCAD 3D Max is a cheap cad program that will do 2d and 3d and sells for anywhere from $39 up. If you have used AutoCAD before, DesignCAD will drive you nuts until you learn it. I have not messed with the 3d portion, just the 2d. If you have never used CAD and want to give something a try, it may do the job for you. I find keeping track of files easier than keeping track of paper drawings. I'm 58 years old, just for information.

I have to start by hand drawing a part. Can't think properly without a pencil or pen in hand.

I'm learning CAD by using a shareware program. Wish I could justify something nicer, but the prices for the commercial software are out of my range until I figure out how to make money at this hobby.

Walt

paper and pencil, charcoal on toilet paper, or doodles on my little whiteboard next to the machine. That's if I even need to draw something out. Usually I just picture the part in my mind (I'm left handed/right brain and have above average spatial orientation/visualization according to long-ago tests).

Mostly I only draw stuff out to have something to put some numbers next to, like I'm doing for my new lathe compound. :)

Good thing I don't do anything complex or have to do this for a living. My machinist friend says that the reason I have difficulty with CAD programs is the terminology and having to deal with little details when I simply want to draw a 3-d rectangle w/dovetail and have another piece sliding on top. Simple to draw out on paper in a matter of seconds or a couple of minutes, but it takes 10s or hundreds of steps to do the same thing with a CAD program. Guess I just don't have the patience. This from a guy who used to write code similar to the firmware in a CNC machine...

Bill

When I start with an idea, I will usually do a quick sketch on paper, or maybe even a series of sketches, but almost always draw up the final in CAD. This way I can easily store the drawing, print it, share it, or modify it if necessary. Another advantage to CAD, in my opinion, is that dimensioning is so easy, especially if a change is made to the part.

For simple things I don't even make a drawing at all.

As many have said here. I have to have a pencil in my hand to think. I have taught CAD for years and or course if I need to go to CNC out comes the CAD. But most of my parts start and end in my sketchbook. I think even the students I teach, who cut their teeth on computers, still sketch things first then CAD it out. But I do agree with jererp if the part requires odd angles, strange hole placement, ect.. I go to CAD so it can find the locations for me. Also on very complex parts I love to use layers in CAD to make things easier to see and on really big parts drawing in full size lets me get to the details that are hard to clarify on a hand sketch. I use to love hand drafting but I have not done a formal drawing with a T-square and such in 20 years or more. For me its either sketch or CAD.
Jeff

I am about half way between. For parts, I usually draw up a diagram more than a drawing that has the main dimensions and general shape. More like notes with directions more than an actual representation.

For other stuff, I fall back to Sketchup. I really don't care to use real CAD programs. I find their input methods to be too tedious.

Back