Got me a Heavy 10

I use carbide for everything on my Heavy 10, everything EXCEPT parting.
I am the same on my 10F. Carbide on everything except parting.

Neither of you are beginners. The OP needs to know how to create and sharpen his own cutting bits. I, too, use a lot of carbide, but knowing when and where to use it needs to be learned.

Ok, so I’m learning how to operate my lathe and I chucked up a piece of stainless (likely 304) to play with.

The rod has been beat on so one end is slightly mushroomed, but I place the end that isn’t mushroomed into the 3 jaw chuck. I start by facing it, then I drilled a center hole for the live center and turned it down a few times.

After the first time, there was still a section of rod that hadn’t been touched by the lathe tool. After further turning until I’m sure the whole surfaced was turned, I measured the diameters closest to the chuck and closest to the dead center. It appears that the diameter is bigger closer to the dead center by about 1/100”.

After the refurb, I measured the runout on the spindle and it was lass than 1/1000”. At the chuck it was obviously worse, but I don’t remember it being in the 100th’s.

I’m inclined to think i should continue turning it down to see if the variance in diameter decreases with each successive turning.

I’m new at this and wanted some opinions about this. Thanks.

683B0BAF-AE8F-4EA2-A2DC-29F9D640B1FF.jpeg

C59F9FEA-BDE0-4B57-888D-DB6FCC0CC6D2.jpeg

Most of that is probably from the tailstock. You'll never get the alignment perfect everywhere because the bed wear is uneven but you should be get it down to a few thousandths.

Neither of you are beginners. The OP needs to know how to create and sharpen his own cutting bits. I, too, use a lot of carbide, but knowing when and where to use it needs to be learned.
You give me too much credit sir. I am the very definition of “beginner”….;)

I bought some M2 HSS 3/8” blanks and will attempt to grind a few of the bits shown in the South Bend How to Run a Lathe book. I’m waiting for the Aluminum Oxide wheel to arrive.

I’m new at this and wanted some opinions about this. Thanks.

Did you level your lathe? Out of level could account for some of your runout, but I also suspect that your tail stock isn't in line with the spindle.

Chuck up a piece (I use ground tool steel) with a center in the TS. Use an indicator in your tool post to measure from HS end to the TS end (you'll not be cutting into this piece). Adjust the TS centering until you real as close to the same reading at the HS end and the TS end. If your initial testing shows considerable misalignment, then centering will remove most of it.

Did you level your lathe? Out of level could account for some of your runout, but I also suspect that your tail stock isn't in line with the spindle.

Chuck up a piece (I use ground tool steel) with a center in the TS. Use an indicator in your tool post to measure from HS end to the TS end (you'll not be cutting into this piece). Adjust the TS centering until you real as close to the same reading at the HS end and the TS end. If your initial testing shows considerable misalignment, then centering will remove most of it.
I forgot to level the lathe. I meant to do that after I moved it into the final location but somehow i forgot.

I’ll level it and check/adjust TS alignment.

Thanks.

Move your belt to a middle range.

The high speed is too fast and reduces the torque.

It has a small contact area and is quicker to slip.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back