Got me a Heavy 10

nice score... OMG, that little trailer .. glad your trailer made it home
New felts are definitely in order.
The little trailer had me worried too. That’s why I tried to find something local (about 10 miles away).

The trailer has been reinforced (structurally) and has been upgraded with a thicker plywood floor. In stock form, max load weight was 1000 lbs.

I even modify a pallet to fit the bed of the trailer and bolted the lathe to it first. The pallet itself was strapped down in two directions during transport as well as the lathe itself.

The trip back was all streets at 35 MPH or slower.

I was glad I made it.

nice score... OMG, that little trailer .. glad your trailer made it home
New felts are definitely in order.
You know when you are driving down the highway and you see abandoned small trailers with the spindle supporting one side??
Yeah, kind of like that.

Sure hope you didn't bend that leadscrew.
(Edited for clarity) It was strapped at the bridge between the ways and also strapped down at the the motor housing through the metal cabinet doors. I read about not bending the lead screw.

Last edited:
Nice find. Please somebody, what feature(s) signifies the “heavy” identification.

Tailstock end.
I was re-reading my post and I could see how it’s not conveying what I did. Hopefully this picture shows what I’m trying to describe.
44B1F89D-4857-40F5-8D02-2545292F5AC3.jpeg

Nice find. Please somebody, what feature(s) signifies the “heavy” identification.
There were two 10" models, the 10k nicknamed light 10, and 10L nicknamed heavy 10. The 10k is more like a 9" upsized, whereas the heavy 10 is more like a smaller 13". The heavy 10 is heavier hence the nickname. The apron is double walled to support the gears at both ends instead of the single wall 10k. I think the bed on the heavy 10 is wider but don't quote me, someone else please correct if I'm wrong. The spindle bore on the heavy 10 is 1 3/8" compared to the 7/8" of the 10k. Heavy 10 has tapered gibs. Better quality improvements here and there over the 10k because it was a more expensive machine.

There was also briefly a 10R model which was the same as the 10L (heavy 10) but without the larger spindle bore.

Nice machine. I notice that the bed is fairly open. I have a 1963 10" toolroom SB and the bed is fully latticed, very strong but often clogs up with chips. Not sure when SB changed the design.

Attachments

• Shop 046.jpeg
    Shop 046.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 16
Made room and put the lathe in place.

Waiting for the rebuild kit (felts/oil wicks) with book. Also waiting for the SB How to Run a Lathe book to arrive as well.

Since I haven’t wired up the original 110v motor, I started taking things apart for a general cleaning with my go-to rust remover (Ed’s Red). During the process, I noticed that on the Telescoping Taper Attachment, I can’t line up both Taper in Inches and Taper in Degrees scales to zero. After some thought, I disassembled and flipped the two scales so that Taper in Inches is closer to the tailstock and that fixed the problem.

In addition, I removed the 3-jaw chuck with a strap tool and tried to install the collet adapter (just to see how things work). Aside from missing the collet sleeve, it seems like I’m also missing some parts at the back of the head and the drawbar is a little long so it appears I’m missing some hardware.

It also appears I’m missing a few oil cover set-screws, a spring loaded lid for one of the oilers and a knob on the apron. This is my first lathe and I’m waiting for the books/parts list to arrive, so if someone can tell me more about the missing knob, maybe I can make one (please see pic with location of missing part circled in red).

Thanks.
84778247-2760-438B-82BB-08C2DE9AD537.jpeg
10A3A06F-208E-405C-BD35-095119993D3F.jpeg
72A2B0EF-9452-4045-97EF-1B425CD9FF82.jpeg
48DF54FC-3B77-48EF-AADD-5B89DA2AF53D.jpeg

Back