Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

My eyes are going bad too quickly to actually have to clean my "readers", but I'm going to have to give this a try. I *assume* that it's rather brand specific, but I've been wrong before... (There was that time in 1987...)

GsT
These were prescription lenses with decent AR coatings. I have to wash my glasses at least once every couple of days, more if I've spent time in the shop. They collect all sort of junk on them, oil, dust, little specks of stuff. I wouldn't bother with AR coatings on these glasses again, since they are my indoor glasses. But wow, these guys sure are clean...

I learned something today about ultrasonic cleaners. Don't put your eyeglasses in a larger cleaner. It took the coating off my reading glasses. It looked like saran wrap had fallen off. It's not a big deal for me, since they were my computer glasses. They sure are clean though! Just Dawn and warm water in a 15L ultrasonic cleaner for under 3 minutes and the coating on the inner side just slid off. Lesson learned.
As the Jewelry Department Manager at a local Service Merchandise (how’s that for dating myself?) learned the hard way, Ultrasonic Cleaners can also strip 23k gold plating off the base metal: to help make a sale he offered to clean a “23k” ring for a customer. It did make it a teaching moment: always note “Marked xxk Gold” when filling out a receipt for a customer’s item being taken in for repair or sizing.

I learned something today about ultrasonic cleaners. Don't put your eyeglasses in a larger cleaner. It took the coating off my reading glasses. It looked like saran wrap had fallen off. It's not a big deal for me, since they were my computer glasses. They sure are clean though! Just Dawn and warm water in a 15L ultrasonic cleaner for under 3 minutes and the coating on the inner side just slid off. Lesson learned.
I keep distilled water in my ultrasonic cleaner and put what I want to clean in a ziplock bag with the appropriate cleaner, works like a charm, I never need to mess with the liquid in the cleaner itself.

I'm on a roll. Groan. Another f'up, but at least it was on a test piece, or rather a rehearsal piece.

I was single pointing an M8x1 thread. I looked up the pitch diameter, calculated the mean and then proceeded to cut the thread. Unfortunately for me, umm, errrrr, I wasn't using the PD, but the values for the minor diameter instead. Argghh. I thought to myself, those threads don't look right, but I'm no where near the pitch diameter. Need to listen to that little voice. :D That little voice was right! Don't know how I mixed them up, but I did. Even though I started at the max major diameter, by the time I was done screwing up the PD, the major diameter was under the minimum. It threaded into the barrel nut but was loose as a goose. Have to do it again!

It's neither sad, nor the end of the world. Maybe a little disappointing though.

I have a spreadsheet of metric coarse and fine threads with the specs. I'll just add a few columns with the mean values in mm and inches. I have a screw micrometer, but it reads only in inches. Too much math in the shop is bad - too many opportunities for blunders. Math ahead of time, that's fine.

Back