Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Learned Something Today

After many years, I discovered that you shouldn’t store rectangular drill indexes on end so that you can read the front face. How did I find this out?

IMG_5918.jpeg
Fortunately the tiny bits stayed put, just the larger/heavier bits scattered (and I only had to hunt for one of them in the bottom of the drawer). This and the fractional set are now stored hinge-end down, with a label on the end that opens; the letter-size index has an angled top, like all three of my stubby bit sets.

Yep, my first apprentice mark on the vise took 5+ years, but it is a doozy!
Man, you were storing that up!

I did this on the lathe the other day. No harm really but I bet I pushed the carriage stop .100 before the change in sound snapped me out of it.

Learned Something Today

After many years, I discovered that you shouldn’t store rectangular drill indexes on end so that you can read the front face. How did I find this out?

View attachment 460060
Fortunately the tiny bits stayed put, just the larger/heavier bits scattered (and I only had to hunt for one of them in the bottom of the drawer). This and the fractional set are now stored hinge-end down, with a label on the end that opens; the letter-size index has an angled top, like all three of my stubby bit sets.
I have had a really nice assortment of crimp terminals scavenged out of several garage cleanouts from friends downsizing, and the one thing that really set this collection off was a nice steel organizer that fit everything with enough spaces for everything to be neatly separated into color and terminal style.

About two months ago I needed a terminal and was routing through the terminals and couldn't get at the one I wanted, so I set the whole box down so I could use both hands.

Set it down on the edge of the bench that is.

Now half of them are in a dust pan waiting for me to have the joy of reorganizing them again.

I have had a really nice assortment of crimp terminals scavenged out of several garage cleanouts from friends downsizing, and the one thing that really set this collection off was a nice steel organizer that fit everything with enough spaces for everything to be neatly separated into color and terminal style.

About two months ago I needed a terminal and was routing through the terminals and couldn't get at the one I wanted, so I set the whole box down so I could use both hands.

Set it down on the edge of the bench that is.

Now half of them are in a dust pan waiting for me to have the joy of reorganizing them again.
I've done that... ...with a gauge pin set...

GsT

Today, I finished a part that I started over the weekend. It's a sleeve clamp with a honed bore, taking extra time to nail the precision.

I drilled, clearance bored, counterbored, and threaded, then I broke down the fixture and zeroed out my DRO. What nice work this was, except for one little detail. The 8-32 threads were loose... because I sized the cuts for the 6-32 bolts I laid it out with. D'oh!

facepalm-slap.gif

I hate when that happens. I'm not visualizing the 8-32s going into a 6-32 being loose.

Back