Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I hate when that happens. I'm not visualizing the 8-32s going into a 6-32 being loose.

Oh, it was the other way around, my threads were bigger than the bolts. I set back up, found center, and counterdrilled and counterbored for the larger bolts and all is well.

But my day didn't end there.

I made another blunder today that I am not going to be able to recover from. I set up that fancy xx claro walnut stock on the mill in order to cut an inlet for the Anschutz rail in the fore end. I made a beautiful slip-fit channel for the whole rail. I used my new chinese calipers to lay out the line. Now, the stock is a custom job, not a CNC mass produced stock, so it's really hard to find straight lines to measure from to begin with. Nothing is square to fix from. Fussing and fiddling, it wasn't until it was cut, off the machine, and in my hands... I was off center by .233 inch... just ducky. What the hell, I measured. Oh, I was just using the calipers on the last project in INCR mode to include a .233 offset... and I didn't put it back in ABS mode before laying out. I guess some lessons are learned the hard way, but I won't be making that mistake again. Maybe I'll re-make the hand stop rail wider and re-set the feature. That sounds pretty good...

Oh, it was the other way around, my threads were bigger than the bolts. I set back up, found center, and counterdrilled and counterbored for the larger bolts and all is well.

But my day didn't end there.

I made another blunder today that I am not going to be able to recover from. I set up that fancy xx claro walnut stock on the mill in order to cut an inlet for the Anschutz rail in the fore end. I made a beautiful slip-fit channel for the whole rail. I used my new chinese calipers to lay out the line. Now, the stock is a custom job, not a CNC mass produced stock, so it's really hard to find straight lines to measure from to begin with. Nothing is square to fix from. Fussing and fiddling, it wasn't until it was cut, off the machine, and in my hands... I was off center by .233 inch... just ducky. What the hell, I measured. Oh, I was just using the calipers on the last project in INCR mode to include a .233 offset... and I didn't put it back in ABS mode before laying out. I guess some lessons are learned the hard way, but I won't be making that mistake again. Maybe I'll re-make the hand stop rail wider and re-set the feature. That sounds pretty good...
I see additional bedding epoxy in your future.

Never tell engineering you can figure out what tap to buy, give them the pertinent information and let them struggle.

55/64-14 / 21.5-14mm whitworth?

What kind of pagan devil worship is this?

It’s a gas bottle thread on an air cylinder shaft from an American company…… why?

Who does this sort of thing?

Never tell engineering you can figure out what tap to buy, give them the pertinent information and let them struggle.

55/64-14 / 21.5-14mm whitworth?

What kind of pagan devil worship is this?

It’s a gas bottle thread on an air cylinder shaft from an American company…… why?

Who does this sort of thing?
Lots of reasons are possible.

thats what their supplier provides.

Clearing out a glut of okd stuck before switching over

Etc, etc…

Lots of reasons are possible.

thats what their supplier provides.

Clearing out a glut of okd stuck before switching over

Etc, etc…
I run into this often in my job.

Proprietary threads are good repeat business as no one wants to/can deal with replicating them.

It’s not using up spares or shelf worn parts as they happen to have a really nice line of shaft connectors and clevis’s that fit their product and only their product.

Need a new clevis? We have just the thing.

Need a cylinder that fits your existing clevis?

It’s our proprietary clevis, of course we have a cylinder for your needs.

Dealt with this a few weeks ago and I now have a lifetime supply of 15-1mm and the matching .586-32 tooling for that job.

Fun times!IMG_3491.jpeg

Aren't proprietary threads what got us into this morass of charts, tables, and pitch steps to begin with?

Discovering a non-standard thread is like listening to a concerto and hearing sour notes. It leads to revulsion and horror, and usually resolves to pity.

Aren't proprietary threads what got us into this morass of charts, tables, and pitch steps to begin with?

Discovering a non-standard thread is like listening to a concerto and hearing sour notes. It leads to revulsion and horror, and usually resolves to pity.

This started with the British ruling 2/3rds of the world at one point.

They needed standardized threads to ship supplies around the world for the colonies.

Ww1 saw this change somewhat as many countries were supporting each other for the war effort, and the French were….. well they were being French about things.

Then US manufacturing during WW2 took over and we set our own standards as the go to way of doing things and this became the leading standard way of manufacturing.

That was a horrible sentence but I haven’t had my coffee yet.

At this point you started to see the more obscure (read newly obscure) threads and tooling (reed and prince ring a bell) fall away and only used where you did not want anything even remotely similar getting used in place of the “Standard” for that application.

This is where your legacy threads like this come in.

This 55/64-14 21.5-14 is mostly used for gas bottle necks afaik and obviously by smart as$ engineers who like proprietary tooling.

Don’t really care for it, but it does break up the day and makes me look good when I find the solution to something engineering struggles with.

Hopefully no one will put me on ignore for delving into geopolitics, because I would have to work up the nerve to not care all over again.

Last edited:
This started with the British ruling 2/3rds of the world at one point.

They needed standardized threads to ship supplies around the world for the colonies.
Slightly OT. I started in the film business in 1983 working for Dino DeLaurentiis, he formally started a studio in 84 and had mostly British department managers. The Brits were relentless in their pursuit of doing everything properly. They would remind me almost daily that there were 100 people that wanted my job and they’d give it to them if I didn’t tighten up. When people complain about me being uptight about the finished product, I point out there’s a reason the British almost ruled the world.

I’m glad we settled on SAE standards but, I still consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to learn my craft from them!

I learned something today about ultrasonic cleaners. Don't put your eyeglasses in a larger cleaner. It took the coating off my reading glasses. It looked like saran wrap had fallen off. It's not a big deal for me, since they were my computer glasses. They sure are clean though! Just Dawn and warm water in a 15L ultrasonic cleaner for under 3 minutes and the coating on the inner side just slid off. Lesson learned.

My eyes are going bad too quickly to actually have to clean my "readers", but I'm going to have to give this a try. I *assume* that it's rather brand specific, but I've been wrong before... (There was that time in 1987...)

GsT

Back