1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Discussion in 'GOOFS & BLUNDERS YOU SHOULD AVOID!' started by David S, Jul 24, 2016.

1. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

I put one of those wooden shed kits together a number of years ago. During the build I kept checking each 2x3 as I pulled them from the stack and rejecting the ones that were bowed/warped/twisted.

The shed turned out great, however, in the end I was left with a pile of rejects and nothing else to build the door with!
    The twisted ones would have worked fine for the walls, just not for the door.
    I did the best I could with the lumber that was left and ended up needing several "toggles" between the two doors and at the top of each door just to keep the doors mostly mouse-proof.

I could have fixed it afterwards by buying more wood, but instead I left it as a constant reminder to think thru the operations from start to finish during the work.

I still have to turn several toggle to open that shed.
    My wife says it feels like going thru Maxwell Smarts apartment door.

-brino

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Sorry about that Chief.

whitmore, MrFixIt, fixit and 3 others like this.
  3. george wilson

george wilson United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

No,mine are fluted all the way up
    to the distance a normal twist drill would be fluted. They are HSS,not carbide. Their sides are ground into a relief too,just leaving the "margin" touching the edges of the hole they are drilling.

I have not seen them for sale anywhere,which seems too bad because they would be useful drills to have. I guess now days no one would know what to do with them.

4. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Where's the pictures , that must have been scary as bell.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwia-bC5laHOAhXI8x4KHdLWBCsQjRwIBw&url=http://www.dirwww.com/2011-fadal-vmc-4020-ht-cmc-vertical-machining-center.html&psig=AFQjCNH1heYeTPARhJD4InSj0Tc7CdmQ0w&ust=1470173531584744

5. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

No pictures, it happens very quickly, that machine rapids at 200 inches per minute which is quite slow by 2016 standards, modern machines of this size will rapid at 1000 inches per minute or more.

6. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Yep, and during that 200IPM move, the E-Stop shrinks to the size of the head on a pin, and moves to a completely new location.

7. jpfabricator

jpfabricator United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Henderson
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Also a certain part of the anatomy shrinks to the size of a head of a pin!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

BGHansen and 4gsr like this.
  8. Tony Wells

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Yeah, I've heard that....something about a needle and a bulldozer.;)

9. British Steel

British Steel United Kingdom Active User Active Member

City:
    Camberley

-Return to Top-

I like these, have 'em in my workshop!

upload_2016-8-24_8-17-7.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
    JimDawson, Fitter Bill and 4gsr like this.
  10. AlbertNakaji

AlbertNakaji United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Papaikou
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

This doesn't apply to experienced folks, but for newbies (we were all newbies at one time): Don't adjust the crossfeed dial (to whatever amount) and expect that it'll remove that exact amount. I did that many times, thinking there was something wrong with the machine, until someone explained to me that there was something called, "tool spring". Perhaps it's not too bad with really stout machines, but for "normal" home shop size lathes (and milling machines, perhaps), tool spring can account for quite a bit of "error".

RJSakowski, Fitter Bill and JimDawson like this.
  11. MeredithJL

MeredithJL United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Cocoa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Just because you can slice a bagel in half on a vertical bandsaw at break time doesn't mean you should. Never realized how dirty a bandsaw blade is until I did that :grin big::grin big:

jmhoying, brino, savarin and 2 others like this.
  12. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I think there is a corollary to Murphy's Law which states " on a final pass, whatever you set the feed advance to be will actually be doubled'.

13. AlbertNakaji

City:
    Papaikou
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

More generally, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

14. Jimsehr

Jimsehr United States Active User Active Member

City:
    SOULSBYVILLE near sonora
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I think the new guys can get hurt on the drill press because they don't fear them. And the part spins as they break thru part. If part not clamped down.

Also see new guys leave a small dia bar hanging out of back of lathe under power and bar bends. Acts like a weed eater.

Jimsehr

4gsr and brino like this.
  15. francist

francist Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

Yep, that reminds me of something my old boss did many years ago. Was coming on springtime and he was gearing up to set his boat back in the water and do a bit of fishing. Figured the line on his salmon reel was kinda old, so maybe replace it. Well, that was just going to take way too much time unspooling it by hand, why not chuck a bolt in the drill press and take the line off on onto that?

Fortunately I wasn't there, but his son said the yells for HELP from the shop could be heard down the whole valley. It started off nice, of course, but the more line the bolt took on, the bigger the diameter so the faster it unspooled the old Peetz reel. And you know, a salmon rod is kinda long, so by the time you figure out what's going on you realize that you're the only thing holding that rod and you're dang near eight feet away from the OFF switch with no way of letting go!

Son said his dad's eyes were as big as dinner plates when he got there to turn off the machine....

Poor guy, he died rather young but was like a father to me for the years we worked together. And he makes for a good story now and again, yes?

-frank

4gsr likes this.
  16. TOOLMASTER

TOOLMASTER you don't want to know Active Member

City:
    SOMEWHERE
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

17. george wilson

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

I heard about a high school shop student who got killed on the drill press. He was trying to drill out one end of a lead ended old fashioned auto battery cable. Not properly clamped down,and lead is not the safest stuff to drill! The cable swung around and hit him on the elbow. He bent over with the pain,and when the cable came around again,it hit him in his head,killing him. This happened pretty fast.

Thank heavens I never had an accident happen in 6 years of teaching shop. Bet that teacher got sued.

18. george wilson

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Here's another one: I had become friendly with a student while doing my student teaching at a high school. The next year,I was teaching shop(mostly because I wanted access to the machinery after hours). The student had come to the shop that night and was using the table saw. He called out to me"Hey,I've figured out how to tell if the teeth on the blade are facing the right direction; just put it on so the brand name is on the outside,where you can read it". I was busy at something,and did not pay much attention to him. A few minutes later,smoke was coming out of that saw in VOLUMES!!!! And,he was STILL trying to push the wood through!! He had put the brand name on the outside,but the teeth WERE BACKWARDS!! So much for his theory! You'd at least think that a LITTLE THOUGHT would tell you which way to put the blade on!!!:) I guess I had thought he was smarter than he was.

jpfabricator and JimDawson like this.
  19. xman_charl

xman_charl Active User Active Member

City:
    vallejo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

had my right middle finger cut open below the skin. 1 inch scar.

supervisor put me on an unfamiliar machine, had two grinding wheels for
    sharpening end mills. Showed me how to operate it, needed the parts done.

Have used the regular grinding machines for stuff, one wheel.

So forgot to turn off, one of the wheels, reached in to remove part.

Nurse is always there at this factory, so thats where I went, for care.

as I worked there for 6 years,
    recall 3 or 4 employees, their fingers where cut completely off.

Charl

20. dulltool17

dulltool17 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Weaverville
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Back in high school metal shop..1975...cutting a v-groove in a drill press vise jaw on a horizontal mill. 45 RPM, climb milling. We used old-fashioned oil cans for cutting oil and I was "thumb-pumping" oil ahead of the cut. The class joker, Henry, came up behind me and says "hey, Wilhelmi- why don't you stick the tip of the can in the cutter and see what happens?" Sure enough, that was enough distraction- I ended up getting the spout into the cutter- pulled my hand through and cut the tip off the third finger on my left hand. Scared the crap out of the shop teacher- more than me. Two years later, I had to have CRS chips excavated from 1/8" below the end of the finger. I always wondered how my middle and index fingers went unscathed; all I can think is that I pulled my hand out so fast that I ripped the tip off the third finger as it was running through the cutter.

21. silence dogood

silence dogood United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    pendleton
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Did that kid get expelled? I had something similar happened to me. I was routing a piece of wood and the neighbor thought it would be funny to unplug the router while I was using it. I explained to him not very nicely that when someone is using a machine, any machine, to stand back, keep your mouth shut, until the machine is completely shut off. The good thing is no one got hurt. No one should distract a person whom is busy operating any kind of machine.

4gsr likes this.
  22. Tony Wells

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Speaking of things pulled through milling cutters, I lost a nice 6" scale.....chopped up into little pieces because I was raking chips away from the cutter. Bad idea.

4gsr likes this.
  23. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done that:faint: Forgot all about it until you posted

Also wound an acid brush around a cutter.

4gsr, brino and jpfabricator like this.
  24. george wilson

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Must have messed up the cutter!

25. jpfabricator

jpfabricator United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Henderson
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

+ 1 on the acid brush.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

26. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

At a company that I worked for some years back, one of the production workers needed a hole drilled but the machinist was not in. He selected a drill bit with a Morse taper shank and chucked it in the drill press. As he started drilling, the drill started to wobble and came flying out. It hit a concrete wall leaving a fairly respectable divot. Fortunately no one was injured in the escapade and production workers were henceforth barred from using the machine shop.

brino likes this.
  27. Joe_B

Joe_B United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Pepperell
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

OK, here is one you would never suspect. Don't hook the ground clamp to the edge of your welding bench. If you lean forward , the clamp will slide off the end of the bench and find a new clamping spot in a very vital area. Don't ask me how I found this out.

4gsr, savarin, Fitter Bill and 3 others like this.
  28. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Don't try making a compressed air storage tank from an old water heater tank. I saw one fly around the weld shop, hit the wall, broke a window, hit the ceiling, came back down, hit the guy having it welded, broke his left arm in two places. Welders were hence forth forbidden to work on 'government' work.

Alec and 4gsr like this.
  29. AlbertNakaji

City:
    Papaikou
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

Was having problems with my electric windows and door locks on the truck. Repairman came over, fussed with it, and said the door locks were fixed. To demonstrate, he pushed the button to lock the doors and they locked. He then closed the door.....with the keys in the ignition.

Alec, 4gsr, JimDawson and 1 other person like this.
  30. AlbertNakaji

City:
    Papaikou
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I keep making more to learn more. Kinda doesn't seem to work, however.

jpfabricator and JimDawson like this.