Gold plated 9A

Phil,I am glad too. The artist in me really loved the beautiful job you did on the lathe. Keep it up by all means!! I know you were working CHEAP to sell the lathe for what you did.

Gentlemen:

The "Gold plated" 9A was sold the other day for the price I was asking. You've gotta admit it is a thing of beauty and is in all respects a new machine, not just the same 'ol machine with a new coat of paint. It is going in a shop, not a living room................

I've just started on my next restoration, another South Bend 9A on a factory 3 drawer cabinet with underneath drive. I'll scrape it, turcite it and do my magic! It will be a joy to behold when I'm done!

Best regards,

Phil

Phil, I am sorry we were playing telephone tag. Phil was one of my students a long time ago and he attended a class I had in my shop here in MN. To make a long story short, he went home and rebuild his small lathe. I was and am still proud of him. Inside his shop he had watch maker lathes; gear hobs, so small...all to repair watches and time pieces. He repaired my Inter-rapid dial Indicator. I love the South Bend. I wish I would have the extra money I would have bought it from you. Rich

PS: I sure want to come and visit sometime...give you a guy hug :high5:

I saw this lathe when it was listed. Absolutely beautiful. I wanted it really bad too, but unfortunately, just couldn't afford it. :(

It would be interesting to see a photo shoot of the restore/rebuild process. I wonder if he had the bed reground then scraped it or was the wear small enough that he only needed a light scraping.

I'm glad he sold it for full price, he certainly earned it.

Very nice. I wish I had the time, skill, patience, and room to do something like that.

You'll excuse me now, I have to find a napkin to wipe up the drool...

Hey,Phill: Whazzat real glittery lookin stuf on them lathe ways?:)

An how many inches duz this one have between them centers? This here one looks longer than that there first gold plated one. This'n looks like one of them there 32" ones.

You know,it takes money to make money,an if you had my super duper automated Biax scraper you could make that there money quicker. Letz try to make a deal this here time around. But,law me! This'n is gonna cost me a million dollars to ship.

I don't need no extra toolin az u know. i have got a real purtty tracin attachment for one of them nine inch lathes.

When I wuz in Williamsburg I got me a letter jus like this un from a feller who thought he had him a passel of them Stradivarious various violins. He said he cliked gud old violins. I want to clikt me one of these here lathes.

Gentlemen:

I'm pleased you like my work, I appreciate that! I'm now working on another South Bend, a 9" model A on a factory underdrive cabinet. I've started scraping the bed, getting the carrage and compound ready to remachine the dovetails and cleaning, painting and polishing the various parts involved.

I found 4 and a half thou wear on the front ways, not really a lot of wear and not hard to scrape back to flatness and truth. I scraped the back ways first and am close to being finished on the front. Richard, you'll notice my version of a baby King Way on the bed, It would be really dificult to scrape a bed without it!

Here are some photos of the progress and process.

I'm also working on a Benchmaster vertical mill, scraping and turciting it, it's going to be a really neat little machine. When done with these two, a light ten awaits restoration..............

Best regards,

Phil

Master to Master "Phil you are more then a scraper, Your are an Artist"! The Small King-Way looks super. Take a look in my photo album I added some pictures. Rich

PS: Take a look at Gearco Mill he finished after my recent GA class. He is a Master too. It's in the Machine Scraping and Restoration Forum I help moderate. Please come and teach in there too.

Phil: Tell me,does this lathe have the collet attachment like the previous 9" SB lathe? Any taper attachment? I hardly ever use my HLVH without the collets. When making multiple parts,I can give the lever a swift flick to shift more metal forward for the next part. Thus,I avoid the wear and tear on my old relays,and can make parts till the bar of metal has to be replaced without stopping the lathe. I am very conscious of preserving my 1964 relays as they cost a good bit of money. My friend,Jon,who has an earlier model,an HLV,lost use of his lathe for some time until a suitable relay could be located and installed.

I often have to make 100 bezel cups for my wife's jewelry making business. I'd hate to stop my lathe for each piece.

Re: Gold plated 9A - $5000

Really good points, Bernie...

It is fine for us to each decide what we would get instead, but I would NOT think it is fair to really compare this to a used and unrestored machine. Apples and oranges. That is like saying "I can get this used Ferrari for less than this new Toyota Camry" (actual truth, look in the Want Ad's). I would sure as hell want a ride in the Ferrari, but I'd buy the Camry! (Holy cow have I changed in twenty years hah hah)

I know my own situation would make me think of other used machines first, because I enjoy making things work, and getting a "deal". But I think we need to remember that there are many people who would prefer to just "get to work" instead of needing to restore something, find parts, troubleshoot. You know, like all the original owners of these machines used to be able to do!! :)

I think it is worth the original price of $5000. I wish he could hold on to it and get that price. I would also love to see him restore a Heavy Ten, or Hardinge.

It would be pretty exciting to see the Monarch done that way too, but that would also be a remarkably more complicated project.

Bernie
Listen this is off topic but having gone down that road I can tell you "Cheap" super cars cost you the better part of 60% of the purchase price per year in routine maintenance. There is a reason the early 90's late 80 vintage super cars are "cheap" They are slow, unreliable, and expensive to maintain and repair. That and a decent Corvette 4th Gen Zr1 will run circle around them, cost about the same and be 1/10 the cost of upkeep.

- - - Updated - - -

Gentlemen:

I'm pleased you like my work, I appreciate that! I'm now working on another South Bend, a 9" model A on a factory underdrive cabinet. I've started scraping the bed, getting the carrage and compound ready to remachine the dovetails and cleaning, painting and polishing the various parts involved.

I found 4 and a half thou wear on the front ways, not really a lot of wear and not hard to scrape back to flatness and truth. I scraped the back ways first and am close to being finished on the front. Richard, you'll notice my version of a baby King Way on the bed, It would be really dificult to scrape a bed without it!

Here are some photos of the progress and process.

I'm also working on a Benchmaster vertical mill, scraping and turciting it, it's going to be a really neat little machine. When done with these two, a light ten awaits restoration..............

Best regards,

Phil
LOL I just e-mail you from work not realizing you posted in this forum...

Back