Gold plated 9A

Re: Gold plated 9A - $5000

Thanks Ray-

I'm going to call him just to tell him. I think it is worth the time. Sort of like bothering to communicate with old teachers years later who had a positive influence. A few words can mean something. Of course, $4k in his pocket would be worth a lot more!! XD

I wrote an email, sent it through Craigslist,must to see in his listing that he doesn't want emails! Hah.

Bernie

Re: Gold plated 9A - $5000

Richard King- are you about there? Is there a way to draw the attention of a member here to this thread?

WELL, did I just have an interesting conversation!

Phil Perry, the rebuilder of the lathe we are discussing, is a truly interesting guy. A self proclaimed "hermit on a farm", he is not on message boards.
We just spoke for almost half an hour, only shortened by my need to pick up my daughter. I asked him if he has restored other machines in the past, and he has- and sold a few.. I asked if he would mind sending me some pics so I could post them here, and he reluctantly agreed :) ... So I will post them when I get them later on today.

*** The first thing I have to say is if ANY of you have teachers or other people how greatly influenced your life, bother to get in touch with them and let them know!

After finding out what inspired him years ago, as he has been doing this for a while now, it turns out that an article in Home Shop Machinist Magazine sparked his interest twenty years ago. It then inspired him to communicate with the article's AUTHOR to take a HIS SCRAPING CLASS fifteen years ago! Is Richard King reading this? :D

Bernie

Hi...

I usually don't read every post on here especially when I'm doing a scraping job. Like I have been doing all week on an emergency for a cool company here in St. Paul MN called Viking Drill who is (what they tell me) one of the 2 companies left in the USA that make drills, taps and reamers.

I think I know who your talking about, it's been several years when I taught a class here in my shop and I had 3 students, 2 from PA who were electronic techs that said every now and then someone had a gib that needed new turcite. Then there was "Phil" who lived in Roberts Wisconsin who was a PHD in Engineering I think and who had got sick of his job. He quit and started to repair watches, clocks and Indicators. He lived in a mobile home and had built an attached shop to it. Inside the shop he had another room he built around a Bridgeport 2 mill. He came to the class and his arm hurt, but he scraped away and listened. (he told me later he had that bacterial that ate flesh, he was hospitalized after the class, that's a scary deal)....But he had a small lathe, I think a Logan and he was scraping the compound for his class project.

He asked who he could send the bed to and get it ground. I told him who to call and a few months later he called me to come and look at it. Roberts is about 30 min from my home and drove over. He showed me his watch making lathes and mills, so tiny and in the back of the shop was his lathe he had rebuilt. It looked very professional...A few months later I needed my Inter-rapid indicator over to him and he was telling me he bought a small farm in Kansas..or someplace like that out in the boonies where he the county sold the place for back taxes..or some deal like that. I sometime think of him as he was a neat guy, I always wondered what had happened to him...next time you talk to him, please tell him I am proud of him and hello. I hope he is who your discussing.

I have had several student over the years that I think of now and then. One who can't join this forum is Robert George down in Texas, Jim from the GA class, Jim from the last one in CA....The young man in Istanbul who made me cry when he hugged me and said I reminded him of his decease father who had taught him to be a man. Several others too....My heritage to this industry is my "Kids" who I have taught to scrape. I now call all my students my kids. I always tell them they will make me proud when they teach someone else and pass on the
"Lost Art of Scraping."

Thanks for inviting me to come and read this makes me so proud when I hear about how well my kids are doing. Makes me Happy!
Rich

It may seem high but if the ways are back to factory spec or better it can be compared to a brand new lathe. Let's see, a brand new American made manual lathe goes for how much?

I don't see that price as being too unreasonable.

JMHO

-Ron
I agree, those were my thoughts as well.

UPDATE:

I called the phone number in the CraigsList link and sure enough it is my old student :) . He was out, but I talked to his wife....We chatted for 10 min and next time I drive down to my cabin in MO , we are going to meet for lunch. Will tell more later... Thanks Bernie, it was so nice of you to let me know.... Have a great weekend. Rich

So where else can you get a like new, or better than new SB machine or any other USA brand machine these days at any price? Personally, I think those that see this as a decent deal are probably more hung up on USA made machines than those that do not see this as a decent deal. Mind you I am not trying to poke anyone in the eye with the USA made machines thing but rather I am simply sharing an opinion.

UPDATE:

I called the phone number in the CraigsList link and sure enough it is my old student :) . He was out, but I talked to his wife....We chatted for 10 min and next time I drive down to my cabin in MO , we are going to meet for lunch. Will tell more later... Thanks Bernie, it was so nice of you to let me know.... Have a great weekend. Rich

That is fantastic Richard! That is just great. He was very interested in getting back in touch with you- he thought you might remember him! And I am glad you would see his work- I will be posting it tomorrow on this thread. He reluctantly agreed to send me pics of his other projects, since I told him it would help and inspire others.

I think people need to remember how much energy those who teach us pour into teaching. I think it is important to show those teachers, when we can, the fruits of their labor.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie,

Uncle Buck, Some like to have old iron because it's "Made in America" and made to last. Seeing some of these Chinese machines in my classes, I can't imagine a Chinese made lathe lasting 50 to 100 years. It's like buying a cherry 1966 Mustang or 68 Chevelle.
I can imagine the complete rebuild took 200 hours plus all the tooling, painting, I bet he won't make much profit.
I bet this not only my opinion either.

1968 chevelle
888 x 626 pixels
254KB
The image is at:
www.seriouswheels.com/1960-1969/1968-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Hardto...

PS: There are some really great Japanese and Taiwan made machines. But these cheap made imports will be in the scrap yard while that SB will be running in another 100 years.

Richard, nice Chevelle. The old mustangs and chevelles will only last another 100 years if we are here to take care of them. The new generation likes the rice burners. Not only that, but we may run out of gas long before they are worn out.

Glad to hear it Phil. It's great that you found someone who appreciated the work/value you put in to it.

-Ron

Last edited:
Back