Gold plated 9A

looks mighty clean.

it being nice and clean should add more of a buyers appeal to it less so than market value. While it comes with several accessories like a collet closer and some chucks and mics i don't see anything that would justify the high price and it doesn't seem to be a turn-key system as you would still need to purchase quite a bit more to crank any parts out of this - which - is still limited to what a 9" lathe can produce.

at $2Kish this would be a reasonable sale... but at asking price I'd be looking at hardinge/EE/10H

Apparently no one has considered that just the scraping job alone took 100 hours or more.
if you were to pay a professional scraper to do the same job you'd be looking at 10k, plus parts.

JMHO

There is a saying in Real Estate "Don't overbuild your neighborhood". I am not being disrespectful of that beautiful machine, but a 9" lathe is probably not worth expending that much time & money on.

I tend to agree, to me it's like a custom car or truck, all the hours and money someone puts into it will never equate what the buyer thinks it worth, they will never value it the same as the restorer will, hence the disparity in pricing. You cannot put a value on all the labor and equate that to a given price tag, as if you calc the hours, you always find that it is way more than what would be justified for a given project. This is not to say certain projects can't command more than others, and therefore might be worth a restore with a possible profit, but even then there will be times when pricing will go up and down depending on the economy, and what once was a bargain one day, is now way over priced no matter how well done the restoration. this is true of cars, houses and machinery ( any anything else for that can be bought or sold ). There is also some who will buy just to have it, and if I hit the lottery and felt like I had to have that lathe, then chances are I would buy it no questions asked.

- Al

It beats buying a semi clone Southbend from Grizzly,and getting NO accessories for even MORE money. With the work that has gone into it,I think it is a good buy,especially with all the accessories,if you want a small lathe. Were it closer,I'd be tempted,though I have an HLVH and a 16" x 40" lathe. I like the great range of threads the SB will cut. My HLVH cuts relatively few,unless you pay huge bucks for extra gears for EACH extra thread you want to make. Some are $500.00 a pair (if they are still available).

It also beats the pants off of a Myford,which is engineered much like an Atlas,and costs a fortune with power cross feed. They are cute,but not great machines.

I like (and respect) all the work put into that lathe and hope he finds the right buyer for it. There are soooo many machines out there that have been disassembled, degreased, painted and reassembled -and cut no better than they did prior to the "make-over". This one looks to be truly worked-over and vastly improved over it's original capabilities. He'd probably be better off advertising on feeBay. If I were the "Jay Lenno" of machine shop equipment, I'd buy it -and use it!

Ray

Re: Gold plated 9A - $5000

I agree with many of you guys, but I also hope he gets it. Beautiful work.

I think it is worth every penny, to the right person- who wants that size lathe. A bargain, actually.

It is fine for us to each decide what we would get instead, but I would NOT think it is fair to really compare this to a used and unrestored machine. Apples and oranges. That is like saying "I can get this used Ferrari for less than this new Toyota Camry" (actual truth, look in the Want Ad's). I would sure as hell want a ride in the Ferrari, but I'd buy the Camry! (Holy cow have I changed in twenty years hah hah)

I know my own situation would make me think of other used machines first, because I enjoy making things work, and getting a "deal". But I think we need to remember that there are many people who would prefer to just "get to work" instead of needing to restore something, find parts, troubleshoot. You know, like all the original owners of these machines used to be able to do!! :)

I think it is worth the original price of $5000. I wish he could hold on to it and get that price. I would also love to see him restore a Heavy Ten, or Hardinge.

It would be pretty exciting to see the Monarch done that way too, but that would also be a remarkably more complicated project.

Bernie

Last edited:
It all comes back to the spindle having a 11/16" thru-hole. Kinda of like restoring a Chevy Vega or a Ford Pinto............

Re: Gold plated 9A - $5000

Really good points, Bernie...

My only hope is that this fellow was aware that his potential clientelle is very limited and there's a good chance he'll lose money on the deal. Maybe yes, maybe no... It was no doubt a labor of love and the money he spent might be worth the pleasure of doing the work... This fellow went way beyond degrease, paint and swap parts with other worn-out parts from eBay. In a way, I too would like to see him work-over a Hardinge or Monarch but, in all honesty modern versions of the HLV are available in abundance and after a couple experiences of my own, I would get a new one unless three important critera are met 1) It has to be capable of performing at 90% (or better) it's original abilities 2) Whatever defects it has must be repairable and 3) the total price including repairs must be sustantially lower than the total cost of an equivalent new unit. Tough criteria -but I value my time as well as the pocketbook of my (very) small-time business.

Ray

I agree with many of you guys, but I also hope he gets it. Beautiful work.

I think it is worth every penny, to the right person- who wants that size lathe. A bargain, actually.

It is fine for us to each decide what we would get instead, but I would NOT think it is fair to really compare this to a used and unrestored machine. Apples and oranges. That is like saying "I can get this used Ferrari for less than this new Toyota Camry" (actual truth, look in the Want Ad's). I would sure as hell want a ride in the Ferrari, but I'd buy the Camry! (Holy cow have I changed in twenty years hah hah)

I know my own situation would make me think of other used machines first, because I enjoy making things work, and getting a "deal". But I think we need to remember that there are many people who would prefer to just "get to work" instead of needing to restore something, find parts, troubleshoot. You know, like all the original owners of these machines used to be able to do!! :)

I think it is worth the original price of $5000. I wish he could hold on to it and get that price. I would also love to see him restore a Heavy Ten, or Hardinge.

It would be pretty exciting to see the Monarch done that way too, but that would also be a remarkably more complicated project.

Bernie

Back