Gene Weber's PM-728VT CNC Conversion

Hi Gene,

I’m an applications engineer for Teknic. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying the ClearPath products.

I read your comment regarding vibrations on the X-axis. I agree that if the X-axis sled is hard to move (especially relative to the other axes), checking the gibs is a good idea. Please be sure to rerun the auto-tune after any mechanical adjustment of this nature.

I also thought it would be helpful to make an additional suggestion. You may already be aware of this, but the MSP software has built-in diagnostics, including a software oscilloscope. You can use this to troubleshoot issues with mechanics, software commands from your controller, and other components of the machine. Below are a few links to videos on our website that demonstrate how to use the diagnostic capabilities of MSP.

· How to Use ClearPath's Diagnostic Tools:

· Troubleshooting with ClearPath's Software Oscilloscope:

If you have any specific questions or there is anything we can help with, please give Teknic a call at 585-784-7454 or contact us through our website: https://teknic.com/contact/

Best,

Bridgette O. – Teknic Servo Systems Engineer

You may notice that the machine vibrates a bit when the X-axis is moving. When I mounted the X-axis sled I noticed that it was very hard to move compared to the Y and Z sleds. I'm wondering if I need to loosen that Gib slightly?
Enjoying watching your build; very thorough work you do! I attached a few pages from the Tormach 1100 instruction manual regarding checking for lost motion, adjustment of ball nut preloads, and gib adjustment. Most of it should be apropos for your machine.

Bruce

Attachments

• Tormach PCNC 1100 Maintenance.pdf
    695.9 KB · Views: 48
I'm about to embark on a 728VT conversion. Thanks for documenting all this so thoroughly.

I built a 6' long stud wall for the mill area. It provides a place to hang a cabinet behind the mill to store mill parts and accessories, a place to hang the electronics box, and a place to put a laptop shelf. The laptop is my son's old HS/College laptop that I wiped and setup to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 10. Yes, sometimes one is forced to use Windows. :cautious:

I'm about to embark on a 728VT conversion. Thanks for documenting all this so thoroughly.

I built a 6' long stud wall for the mill area. It provides a place to hang a cabinet behind the mill to store mill parts and accessories, a place to hang the electronics box, and a place to put a laptop shelf. The laptop is my son's old HS/College laptop that I wiped and setup to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 10. Yes, sometimes one is forced to use Windows. :cautious:

Interesting, mine area overlaps my welding/plasma table area and things get messy. Never thought of a short wall to enforce seperation.

Back