G4003G

just ordered a grizzly g640 combo 17 inch wood / metal band saw - received in good condition after 3 days - workmanship on saw - really good, everything rounded, smooth, good finish, table finely ground, no complaints - can't wait to start using it!

My concern with the new compound is that it looks like it positions the QCTP 5. to .6 higher than normal which would make getting the larger tooling positioned below spindle center line an issue. That could force use of a AXA vs a BXA QCTP.

My concern is the cross slide to compound interface looks less robust than that depicted in the larger picture. I have a similar mechanism on my SB 8k and am going to be making a replacement that is more rigid. Don't want to have to do this twice...

We are approaching that wonderful, magical time of the year...

...yes, I am talking about 1 Jan, when the new Grizzly catalog comes out!

I suspect that we will see an optional mill attachment for the lathe, since two of the 4003G pictures show the mill attachment.

ho hum. I hope there is something more magical than that, since it really is of limited use (unless you don't have floor space for a real mill).

Yes but there's nothing to attach that mill attachment to except the lathe bed and I'm not sure I'd want something like that tweaking it. Then there is the potential for this to cause an issue if you are trying to install a DRO. We'll see how well Grizzly thought this through.

A few years ago Grizzly had a 12x36 3 in 1. I bet someone grabbed some old pictures of it by accident. The controls in the photos with the mill attachment don't match the other photos.
Dave

Yea, I figure someone screwed up and grabbed the wrong pics. Or at least that is what I'm hoping happened.

And I too am anticipating the new catalog. Next year may be when I can get my 'big' lathe. (well, big for me anyway...) :D

OP: Any ETA on this new toy of yours? Want to see some pics of this bad boy.

A few years ago Grizzly had a 12x36 3 in 1. I bet someone grabbed some old pictures of it by accident. The controls in the photos with the mill attachment don't match the other photos.
Dave
The 3n1 was the old green color scheme.

I have had a G4003 for 14 years, I have made some minor adjustments and upgrades, the only problem I have had was a motor starter, easy fix....this lathe has paid for itself many many many times over, its been a great machine...

Back