G4000 ELS Upgrade

thanks--im trying to figure out how you would calculate SFM--im a rookie so like to use the charts for that stuff. i think the ELS gives you thou/rev right? how do you figure out your feed rates? thanks for any advice.
this is referring to using the keyed leadscrew

Sorry for high jacking your thread with questions Cletus, but why didn’t you connect your spindle directly to the encoder? Could you not find the correct size pulley to match your spindle gear? I ask because I’m thinking of doing this myself. If my spindle is 24 teeth, could I not just buy a 24 tooth pulley to go on my encoder and connect them directly together (via a pulley obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for high jacking your thread with questions Cletus, but why didn’t you connect your spindle directly to the encoder? Could you not find the correct size pulley to match your spindle gear? I ask because I’m thinking of doing this myself. If my spindle is 24 teeth, could I not just buy a 24 tooth pulley to go on my encoder and connect them directly together (via a pulley obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure you could. Whatever works to get the spindle and encoder running at the same speed (without slippage). It was just convenient and simple for me to mount the toothed pulley on the idler.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Waiting for pulleys and wire to come in. today im going to make a bracket for the stepper which ended up fitting nicely inside the piece of tube steel the lathe sits on (see pic). Im going to use your idea of mounting the pulley to the 80T gear for the encoder (thank you very much for that). while waiting for the parts I put on a DRO but display is still slowly making its way from china so havent had a chance to use it. I have one question, maybe you could answer (i have A LOT to learn about electronics still): i have this meanwell power supply (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G8UDEQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Its 48v, 12 amps. It appears to have multiple voltage output terminals but the documentation refers to it as "single output." Ideally i would get power to stepper and the 5V to the TI Launch control board from this (to save having to use an extra plug). Is that possible? Also, thanks for the tricking out lathe and into pdfs--i knew nothing about lathes getting started and those were an immense help getting this one running!

Forgot to post pics:

Attachments

• 20221020_101612.jpg
    20221020_101612.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221020_101513.jpg
    20221020_101513.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 19
Ahhh, very nice and good progress. That power supply outputs a single 48V supply only, all three "+++" are connected together and likewise all three "---" are connected together. That said, yoy'll need a second power supply for the 5V supply for the control electronics and I recommend this one (the 115vac inputs could be connected together and go to a common fuse, switch,plug) :

I also like the idea of the second supply (5V) being completely dedicated to the control electronics, so as to mitigate any electrical noise from the stepper/driver getting into the control system.

Glad you also found the "Tricking out" PDFs of interest, it was done when I migrated from my original tiny Emco Unimat SL to the Grizzly G4000. Would love to have a bigger lathe still, but there's just no room for it here in the shop. The G4000 is in use almost daily and does pretty much everything i need to do, so a bigger lathe is a "want" not a need.

Ahhh, very nice and good progress. That power supply outputs a single 48V supply only, all three "+++" are connected together and likewise all three "---" are connected together. That said, yoy'll need a second power supply for the 5V supply for the control electronics and I recommend this one (the 115vac inputs could be connected together and go to a common fuse, switch,plug) :

I also like the idea of the second supply (5V) being completely dedicated to the control electronics, so as to mitigate any electrical noise from the stepper/driver getting into the control system.

Glad you also found the "Tricking out" PDFs of interest, it was done when I migrated from my original tiny Emco Unimat SL to the Grizzly G4000. Would love to have a bigger lathe still, but there's just no room for it here in the shop. The G4000 is in use almost daily and does pretty much everything i need to do, so a bigger lathe is a "want" not a need.
Just did some maintenance on mine. The 7-segment LED display lost a few segments, so just changed out to a new display.

thanks cletus--so i can just split the 120v line coming in to power the 5v and 48V right? If so i think ill get the part--one less plug to deal with. did you get a different display or just replace original?

Back