G0695 Mill Vibration Issues! I Need Guidance....

If you check the manual, the motor is specified as TEFC on the spec page and on the parts diagram. This is actually a bit unusual, because VFD systems often do not use a TEFC motor because of cooling issues below about 25% of base speed. TENV are designed for passive cooling, often there is a separate fan that cools the motor independent of the VFD speed. Shaft TIR of 0.005 for a Chinese motor is not unexpected, but it could also easily be a motor balance issue, sounds like sheet metal rattling. That it is missing the fan, really makes one wonder who is building these. You can also see the belt fluttering quite a bit, which could also exacerbate things. I would put on a higher quality cogged belt once you get the motor issue squared away.

I agree on the belt flutter, and was of the same mind. I installed a BX27 cogged belt with no apperciable difference. Every time I converse with Grizzly, it's two days until I can get ahold of the "high level" tech and move on to the next set of b.s. checks. I'm done! The tech was supposed to return my call yesterday and no call yet. I tried contacting him but was told he would get to me as he worked through other calls (which I understand). I told the lower level tech that my machine repair days were over, It's time to start shipping parts out and we can play pin the tail on the donkey 'til we hit the problem......

Looks like TENV. Does it say that on the nameplate? TENV stands for Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated. Such motors are intended to operate with no fan.

No nameplate on the motor or specific motor reference on the plate on the machine.

If it got properly hot during brake in it might have cooked the bearing grease/oil and made them run less than smothly. You could press your ear to the motor and turn the shaft by hand listening for any grinding type noises. (Don't have it plugged in when doing that)

Stuart

I felt the motor during break in. No excessive temp. Motor turns smooth/freely still after break in.

Update: the Grizzly tech contacted me! This guy spent over an hour on the phone with me sorting out this issue. Getting to him....not so fun.....but once he was able to call me back, he was extremely patient and sharp. The motor IS a TEFC and is supposed to have a fan. He sounded kinda irritated that a motor went out without a fan. They are shipping out a new motor today. I am pleased that we are making progress.

It's good you are making progress. Hopefully the new motor is assembled a little better and doesn't vibrate so much.

It's good you are making progress. Hopefully the new motor is assembled a little better and doesn't vibrate so much.

That's what I'm hoping for. I told him if its the spindle, I'm going to need a headstock. No more machine diagnostics. The tech seemed o.k. with that. Again, thanks for all of the help!

Update, received the new motor WITH A FAN. Resolved the higher freq. vibration. This thing still has a bit of a rattle to it. At 900rpms, I can see the control panel slightly shaking. Called Grizzly again, two days later got a return phone call. They wanted me to have the spindle pulley balanced somewhere (what??..). I asked for a headstock swap......the tech said that was not going to happen. I can send the machine back for repair/replacement. If no issue is found, I pay shipping both ways, and I have to build a crate and pay help and rent a trailer to haul to the freight dock. Guess I'm SOL. The headstock swap would have been an easy fix and shipping would have been simple.......was that too much to ask? Just looking for someone else's take on this.

I would guess that the headstock and bed are fit to each other at time of assembly. To just ship you a 'blank' headstock and assume that everything would assemble and line up properly is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I would guess that the headstock and bed are fit to each other at time of assembly. To just ship you a 'blank' headstock and assume that everything would assemble and line up properly is a bit of a stretch IMO.

That makes good sense! Back to the drawing board.

Too bad you didn't get it completely fixed. When I bought mine it was during the last few weeks the local Grizzly store was open so I could always take it back if it was a lemon. Luckily for me this wasn't a problem.

Back