G0695 Mill Vibration Issues! I Need Guidance....

Ironken

Registered
Registered
I have a brand new Grizzly G0695 knee mill. I was in the process of spindle break-in as outlined in the manual, 200rpm in each direction for 20 min and 1800rpm in each direction for 20 min. When I wound it up to 1800 I could hear and feel a strong vibration throughout the head along with some squeeking (belt slippage or bearings). I removed the drive belt and ran the motor free. At about 1500rpms the motor had a pretty high freq vibration.....not a hum but a buzz/rattle. I have a cogged Dayton belt on order to try and eliminate the belt as a secondary issue. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I have contacted Grizzly and sent them a video of the issue. I am sorry for the rotated pic......I can't get it to rotate.20160308_130613.jpg

My G0678 mill is almost exactly the same as your mill with just a different motor layout. Yours should be quiet with very little vibration even at full speed. I did eventually replace the factory belt with a new Gates belt, but that was more because mine was a showroom demo and the belt took a nasty set from sitting around for a few years. It still didn't make much of a difference.

Sounds like there is something wrong with either the motor or the VFD.

Probably did this but check the pulley on the motor to be sure it is secure

Thanks Doogie for the insight. I'm thinking motor too. The vibration gets way worse when the motor is powering the machine though.

Steve, I did check the motor pulley. Still a good suggestion.......kinda like with motorcycles....."turn on the gas, dummy!"

I used to get a similar problem when servicing printing presses strange vibration several times it traced back to a loose pulley or damage key. May be an electrical issue, I wont be much help there

I managed to sneak down to the shop and shoot a little video of my G0678 mill at various speeds for a comparison with your mill.

Please be aware that I'm not a professional or even amateur at shooting videos. Also, the mic on this camera tends to pick-up more noise than if you were actually there in person. Anyway, hopefully this will help.

Doogie, you are a good guy! Thank you. I'm creating a YooToob channel and will post a vid shortly. I will go out and compare yours to mine. This helps immensely.

Steve, anything helps. Thanks!

Deleted. Replaced with next post.

Last edited:

Here's a vid, you can hear the squeeking and vibration. You can even hear the sheet metal on the machine rattling.

That's just not right. I would expect an increase in volume, but not the other stuff.

Back