G0695 Mill Vibration Issues! I Need Guidance....

I agree Tom. I am suspect of the quill as well as the motor due to the different vibrations, some low freq and some high. I guess I'll see what Griz says when they get back with me. I am willing to change out a motor but I am not going to change out bearings/parts in the head as was mentioned when I was on the phone with tech support. They can send a head. I just threw over 4k down and don't wanna play machine repair man.

Could be the motor or VFD.

I bought a Teco L510 VFD to put on my lathe. It made my brand new Leeson motor jump on the workbench between 30 and 55 Hz. Tried it on another 3 phase motor I had lying around. Same issue. Took a Teco JNEV off my mill, and it ran the Leeson motor smoothly.

So I sent it back and replaced it with a (more expensive) Hitachi WJ200, and the motor is smooth as silk. Nothing against the Teco L510, others have them and like them, but the one I got was obviously messed up; oscilloscope showed it was dropping a phase. I wasn't willing to waste time, so I upgraded my purchase.

Moral of the story is: a VFD can make your motor act like it has severe mechanical problems. If I hadn't had the JNEV available, I would probably have shipped the motor back. It was hard to believe that that much vibration was due to the VFD, and not a mechanical fault in the motor.

That being said, Grizzly doesn't always have a good track record with their motors. But their CS does have a good track record of looking after customers. Word of advice: be friendly and reasonable and they will make it all good. Don't let your frustration over spending $4k and getting something that isn't working get the best of you.

Two more things:
1. pop off the fan cowling on the top of the motor and make sure the fan isn't loose (just takes 3 screws), and when you put it back on, make sure the end of the fan isn't touching the cowling.
2. hold your camera sideways when you take a video. Those sideway letterbox videos are way too small.

Last edited:
Tmarks, thanks for sharing your experience. The motor or VFD shooting craps doesn't bother me that much. Virtually just swapping easy to get to parts. As far as Grizzly c.s., I have nothing bad to say. Actually, I have had very good experiences with them with other equipment. I usually reserve getting nasty for when all else fails. As of now, I believe they will make good. I just don't intend to do a rebuild if hard parts are found to be the issue. They will need to start thinking about shipping assembles.

You have a vibration issue somewhere. Since it rattles with the belt off, I would be surprised if it has anything to do with the spindle, quill or bearings.

I would pull the belt sheave off the motor and observe it running. If the motor is still vibrating, tmarks offered some great advice.

Could be the motor or VFD.

I bought a Teco L510 VFD to put on my lathe. It made my brand new Leeson motor jump on the workbench between 30 and 55 Hz. Tried it on another 3 phase motor I had lying around. Same issue. Took a Teco JNEV off my mill, and it ran the Leeson motor smoothly.

So I sent it back and replaced it with a (more expensive) Hitachi WJ200, and the motor is smooth as silk. Nothing against the Teco L510, others have them and like them, but the one I got was obviously messed up; oscilloscope should it was dropping a phase. I wasn't willing to waste time, so I upgraded my purchase.

Moral of the story is: a VFD can make your motor act like it has severe mechanical problems. If I hadn't had the JNEV available, I would probably have shipped the motor back. It was hard to believe that that much vibration was due to the VFD, and not a mechanical fault in the motor.

That being said, Grizzly doesn't always have a good track record with their motors. But their CS does have a good track record of looking after customers. Word of advice: be friendly and reasonable and they will make it all good. Don't let your frustration over spending $4k and getting something that isn't working get the best of you.

Two more things:
1. pop off the fan cowling on the top of the motor and make sure the fan isn't loose (just takes 3 screws), and when you put it back on, make sure the end of the fan isn't touching the cowling.
2. hold your camera sideways when you take a video. Those sideway letterbox videos are way too small.

The fan shroud is a good idea, tomorrow I will pull the fan shroud and take a look.

Yeah, my Youtube skills are poor as are my vid skills.....good advice on the camera.

You have a vibration issue somewhere. Since it rattles with the belt off, I would be surprised if it has anything to do with the spindle, quill or bearings.

I would pull the belt sheave off the motor and observe it running. If the motor is still vibrating, tmarks offered some great advice.

While I'm messin' with the fan, I'll pull the motor pulley and run it. Many thanks guys for the ideas. The grand scheme here....the further I can narrow this down, the more info I can give Grizzly CS possibly making both of our lives easier.

Ok, I pulled the fan shroud......no fan???!!! Just the external aluminum heat sink on the motor. With the shroud off, I tried to indicate the motor shaft. I'm just now breaking into machining so my old dial indicator is a seized POS! I rotated the shaft at about 70rpms and used the old sharpie pen. Very crude but the shaft is clearly out. I'm guessing .005-.010.

Vibration still exists with the drive pulley removed.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions!

Your motor must be different because mine definitely has a plastic fan.

You aren't going to get to far in this hobby without a dial indicator. :)

Back