First lathe above harbor freight question

There was a very good write up in HSM magazine about it. The author had bought two of them at a scratch n dent sale. He made one good one out of the two, and compared it to his vintage machine. He even listed which old accessories would work with the new machine. I'm thinking it wasn't very many, but there were a few. If anyone is interested I'll hunt down the issue for you to order.

The difference between the two you just mentioned is apricots to watermelons

If I had $9000 to drop on a lathe, I don't think I'd be using it on the new Grizzly / SB Heavy 10, but for somebody with the cash and lacking space for something bigger it is a pretty big advance over something like a Grizzly or PM 1022/1030.

543lbs vs 330-395lbs
1-3/8" spindle vs 1"
2HP 3ph (with VFD) vs 1HP 1ph motor
D1-4 camlock vs threaded spindle or DIN flange
10.75x30 vs 9.5-10x22 or 30"
7" wide bed vs 5.3-6-1/8"
Quick Change Gear Box vs change gears
Made in Taiwan vs China

Lots of other options at the $9000 budget level but it does look like a pretty nice lathe for someone that is cash flush, and space deficient. Although at 61" long it is only a few inches shorter than the PM1236-T for about 50% more money, that is an expensive couple of inches.

I think there are at least a couple of members here who have one of these lathes who might be able to comment more specifically on the quality, I can just window shop the spec sheets. :)
All of that is great but definitely do not have the funds for one. $3500 is about max I can somewhat afford to spend. And even at that looking to buy on credit with a new card and 18 months of 0% financing!

All of that is great but definitely do not have the funds for one. $3500 is about max I can somewhat afford to spend. And even at that looking to buy on credit with a new card and 18 months of 0% financing!

Sorry I think we got off on a tangent, I was not suggesting that you should be giving it serious consideration.

The difference between the two you just mentioned is apricots to watermelons
Ok. I guess I'll try not to take it personal that I considered it a " very good write up", and offered to find it for anyone. While you consider it a useless comparison worthy of immediate and unyielding rejection. No harm, no foul. Interesting to me isn't always interesting to someone else. And yeah I don't even know who mentioned the new SB to begin with. But I didn't help matters. Sorry.

Ok. I guess I'll try not to take it personal that I considered it a " very good write up", and offered to find it for anyone. While you consider it a useless comparison worthy of immediate and unyielding rejection. No harm, no foul. Interesting to me isn't always interesting to someone else. And yeah I don't even know who mentioned the new SB to begin with. But I didn't help matters. Sorry.
All good here and wish I could afford a new SB. I had looked at used around me but nothing small and a large majority around me looked not so well kept. Then there is always the need for a truck and a trailer. I have only lived here a short while and don't have the friends or equipment for a large lathe. The 1030 has even got me posing the question of how to get it here (narrow dead end road with twists and turns), and how to get it on the stand.

I think he was referring to my comparison between the PM and Grizzly 10" lathes and that SB Heavy 10, not the article you offered.

My fault for the side track, I simply mentioned that the SB is the only new lathe I know of under 12" with a QCGB and it sort of devolved from there.

The 1030 has even got me posing the question of how to get it here (narrow dead end road with twists and turns), and how to get it on the stand.
I'm pretty sure they'll bring it right to your door. An engine hoist will lift it fine, although if you had room, an overhead gantry is the bees knees. I think you can rent an engine hoist, but if not, many companies sell them.

I'm pretty sure they'll bring it right to your door. An engine hoist will lift it fine, although if you had room, an overhead gantry is the bees knees. I think you can rent an engine hoist, but if not, many companies sell them.
Told it would be delivered on a semi truck. The road has several 45+° turns and is only 10ft wide. I am at the end of the road which has especially no turn around. The state has come down here with dump trucks and equipment trailers and struggled to get turned. Not sure a semi could do it. Called PM they confirmed it would be delivered on a semi

I was referring to Aaron's comparison.
Please don't take this the wrong way. Everyone's input is valuable and your considerations and opinions are welcome.
I apologize if I offended you in any way!!
Jeff

Back