First lathe above harbor freight question

Wildvortex

Registered
Registered
I have been looking and looking at a PM-1030v. It is a bit beyond what I was hoping to pay. What I would like to know is if there is a better quality machine about that size for that price or less?

I have worked some with a harbor freight lathe but hate the accuracy issues.

I assume you are referring to the HF mini-lathe? The PM would be a good step up from there quality wise. I have seen some people talk about getting accurate work out of the mini lathes though. Perhaps if you detail what you're doing and what the issues you are running into are, we can help you out there as well. Not that we will hesitate to spend your money... :)

I found that the PM price/quality ratio was very good. I ended up with the 1127, and am very happy with it.

Yes, the HF mini lathe 7x11. The issues I am having with it really all stem from the tailstock. I have upgraded that steel locking plate and adjusted it to be on center with 2 pointed rods one in the chuck and one in the tailstock chuck and a thin piece of steel between. Took the time to get it right. but it seems as if whenever I go to drill the bit is not center when I clamp the tailstock down. I am able to move it on the ways slightly this way and that way.

But, I also would like a larger lathe as I have come across a couple things I needed to do and did not have the length needed.

Would love the 1130v but having a hard time justifying the 1030v let alone another $1500.

That sounds frustrating. I have never used a mini, so I can't say for sure what might be wrong. But it's always nice to have a bigger machine. I'd say make sure you can fit your work into the 1030 with a little wiggle room. Having to bump up again in a short time would not be fun. Other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PM as a vendor. I haven't run a 1030, but I hear good things and it looks like a little brother to my 1127.

The 1228 would be the smallest of the big boy lathes, cam lock chuck, better head stock, if you ran out of length once. Now that your going to do bigger jobs it may be something to think about if your getting more serious.

For new lathe options the PM1022 / 1030 seems to be popular and offers more than many others of that size. It is one of the more expensive options though.

Grizzly offers a slightly cheaper 10x22 but it has a threaded spindle which some dislike, is actually a 9-1/2" swing vs 10" and lacks the power feed on the cross slide.

The 9x19 or 9x20 is another popular lathe of roughly the same size, but several hundred dollars cheaper. It shares many features good and bad with the Grizzly 10x22 lathes. Definitely a step above the 7x class lathes, but not as nice a machine as the PM lathes. Used these are rather common and can be found for $1000 or less if you get lucky.

The new vs vintage debate is unending, but small vintage lathes can have significant advantages over a small new lathe as there are many small vintage lathes that were available with a quick change gear box, but very few new ones under 12" that have one. The only lathe smaller than 12" I am aware of that comes with a QCGB is the Grizzly Southbend Heavy 10 starting at $9000.

For what you will pay for a PM 1030 (often less) you can get a likely get nice vintage 9 or 10" lathe, Atlas, Logan, Southbend etc with more features, but at the risk of wear and hidden damage. New does have the benefit of not getting a prior owners problems with it.

but it seems as if whenever I go to drill the bit is not center when I clamp the tailstock down.
I haven't ever studied this HF mini lathe. But there's virtually no reason I can imagine that would enable the tailstock center to change position after being locked down other than a loose screw somewhere, or something broken. You may consider investigating this problem a little more. You'll have time to do this while you wait to take delivery on your new PM 1440. I've seen these sort of threads "evolve" before. Lol

From the general description of your problem I wonder if you are experiencing a cosines error your dead center at one length and your chuck and bit being longer if the tail stock is not inline with the spindle the further out you get the greater the skew

I haven't ever studied this HF mini lathe. But there's virtually no reason I can imagine that would enable the tailstock center to change position after being locked down other than a loose screw somewhere, or something broken. You may consider investigating this problem a little more. You'll have time to do this while you wait to take delivery on your new PM 1440. I've seen these sort of threads "evolve" before. Lol
Yes, very unlikely that I will go that size. As it is right now I barely have the room for a 1030 and plan in the not too far future to move to another place and do the snow bird thing. I also am on a very fixed budget so I don't see that happening any time.

As for the tail stock I know what you mean it doesn't seem possible without something loose but have been over it and over it both myself and a friend who owns and has run machining tools all his life and we find nothing loose.

From the general description of your problem I wonder if you are experiencing a cosines error your dead center at one length and your chuck and bit being longer if the tail stock is not inline with the spindle the further out you get the greater the skew
Not quite sure. Have checked the runout on the chuck and done all we can come up with to get that as good as possible to include upgrade to roller bearings. Only thing that has not been done is grind the jaws.
Have even taken my pointed rods and without loosening the tailstock moved the piece in the chuck and extend the tailstock out to make sure that it was not aligned at just that point.

I also don't know the history of this lathe as I bought it from a friend that was trying to sell off her father's stuff after he passed away.

Back