First lathe above harbor freight question

One thing I can saw about the tailstock is I absolutely despise the way it locks with the threaded rod down through the center and just a small area to get to it. Not a nice locking lever

I would suggest you forget about those cheap imports and look for a good old South Bend, Atlas, Craftsman or similar machine.
Those good old brands will still be capable of making acceptable parts with acceptable tolerances long after those imports have been melted down.

I would suggest you forget about those cheap imports and look for a good old South Bend, Atlas, Craftsman or similar machine.
Those good old brands will still be capable of making acceptable parts with acceptable tolerances long after those imports have been melted down.
Yes, as long as you can find one that has been cared for and not all worn out. Often easy to hide the issues. Worn ways seem to come to mind. Have to have a hell of a good eye to just see that. That is my biggest worry there. I don't plan on a ton of work on the lathe but want something fairly accurate when I do.

Not the prettiest job. One of my very first but an idea of their idea of a lock. Originally was just a nut and constantly looking for a spanner.
20210821_082544.jpg

I second the used lathe idea- Good Atlas's show up often. I have two, a 6" and a 12"
You can check the ways by doing the carriage lock test
Just stay away from the ones without roller bearing headstocks
-Mark

I really, REALLY like my Atlas. I built it from parts, so I'm probably biased, but I can't really see why so many people seem to hate them so enthusiastically. Anyways MY Atlas is probably off topic, but I do think there's some value in them. Not as a first lathe, but maybe as a third lathe. Did you say you weren't interested in the Grizzly lathes? They are pretty good to deal with imo.

I took delivery of a PM 1030v about 6 months ago and am very happy with it. I had initially been looking at something like the similarly sized Grizzly G 0602, but concluded that the PM lathe was a much better value. I found no other lathe with a similar list of features for a comparable price.

The Grizzly has a thread on chuck mount. This precludes the useful technique of running the lathe in reverse to cut threads away from a shoulder with the tool upside down in the tool holder. The PM uses a bolt on arrangement.

The PM includes an Aloris style quick change tool post. It has power cross feed (I didn't see this on any comparable sized / priced lathe). The power feeds do not utilize the lead screw and half nut minimizing wear on these components. The PM has a convenient variable speed BLDC drive motor. I also like the t-slots on the cross slide, which should be useful if milling on the lathe might be considered, or replacing the compound with a solid block, etc.

I hope that doesn't sound too much like a sales pitch. I have no connection to PM other than being a happy customer. Those are just the features that differentiated the PM from the other options I considered.

I really, REALLY like my Atlas. I built it from parts, so I'm probably biased, but I can't really see why so many people seem to hate them so enthusiastically. Anyways MY Atlas is probably off topic, but I do think there's some value in them. Not as a first lathe, but maybe as a third lathe. Did you say you weren't interested in the Grizzly lathes? They are pretty good to deal with imo.
Yah, not overly impressed with the grizzlys more of a bang for your buck. All the extras that come with the PM for just slightly more

For new lathe options the PM1022 / 1030 seems to be popular and offers more than many others of that size. It is one of the more expensive options though.

Grizzly offers a slightly cheaper 10x22 but it has a threaded spindle which some dislike, is actually a 9-1/2" swing vs 10" and lacks the power feed on the cross slide.

The 9x19 or 9x20 is another popular lathe of roughly the same size, but several hundred dollars cheaper. It shares many features good and bad with the Grizzly 10x22 lathes. Definitely a step above the 7x class lathes, but not as nice a machine as the PM lathes. Used these are rather common and can be found for $1000 or less if you get lucky.

The new vs vintage debate is unending, but small vintage lathes can have significant advantages over a small new lathe as there are many small vintage lathes that were available with a quick change gear box, but very few new ones under 12" that have one. The only lathe smaller than 12" I am aware of that comes with a QCGB is the Grizzly Southbend Heavy 10 starting at $9000.

For what you will pay for a PM 1030 (often less) you can get a likely get nice vintage 9 or 10" lathe, Atlas, Logan, Southbend etc with more features, but at the risk of wear and hidden damage. New does have the benefit of not getting a prior owners problems with it.
$9,000??
Why? What’s so good about it?
I’m referring to the heavy 10 South Bend.
Lots of money for a small lathe! Imho

Back