First engine for a newbie to machining.

I Have basic tools, measuring and otherwise. Drilling tools I'm good, lathe tools I'm good but I need to get an indy 4 jaw, couple dial indicators, reamers, edge finders. end mills etc. prob have to get a 2 or 3" mic, depth gauge the list goes on of things I know Ill need. Looking forward to getting a mini mill asap. Milling on the Taig isn't fun. I spent 20 years as a mechanic, welding, fabricating etc. Been out of it for many years now, I also built many scale models of using different materials etc so Im used to long term projects. Machining has been an interest for 50 yrs since I used to pour over the Starrett catalog back in the early 70's as a kid. My father was a engineer so I've always been exposed to this kind of stuff. There's no time like the present to complete my bucket list.

This would be a nice first engine designed by Elmer Verberg. I have his book so I could send you a copy of the plans if you would like (not plagiarism due to the plans are in the public domain).

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 1.32.38 PM.jpg

OK yes, I know nothing is easy but that's why we do things like this. Is that your blog ? very nice, Ill get into it deeper no doubt.
No Tony, that was not my blog, 'twas just one of many links about the Webster. If you get interested in the Webster and have questions, I'll try to answer you.
Greg

I learned I don’t enjoy working on small models.
My equipment is large.
A PM Research #4 is more appealing to me than a small #7.
Just my experience.

I should add, these kits will make you a better machinist. Imho.

Yes very nice. Size is going to have to be relative to my Taig lathe but it can handle some good sized stuff. I think medium size would be best for me.
You can do quite a lot on small machines. Sometimes you'll need creative fixtures, but that's part of the fun!

I started my adventure on machining with a PM research engine. Just a few parts into the #3 engine. The castings are very nice. There was a bit of roughness on one part. Looked like sand maybe fell into the cavity before casting. They replaced it with no questions.

I can say I've screwed up everything I have done so far, but I have been able to correct my mistakes, except for the cross slide that I made undersized. Thankful I had a ***** of brass so I just made another one.

I am learning so much about fixturing, indicating and machining. My idea going into this was it will be an education. And the cost of the kit is less than a course at a community college. In the end I will either have 1) a working steam engine, or 2) a really pretty thing that looks like a steam engine but just sits on my bookshelf. Either way I will have learned a lot.

Back