First engine for a newbie to machining.

I would lean to a small bar stock engine. Lots of free plans for models that are only 6-8" high. You will have to mill no matter what you do. The alternative is to hand cut and file. You will have to practice hitting the tolerances no matter what you do. So bar stock that can be replaced cheaply would be the way to go. Also, you can repurpose mistakes into other projects.
Most small engines are designed to be made by a lathe only. With a milling attachment, the entire engine can be done. I would take scrap and practice hitting the dimensions within a couple of thousands first Most parts are forgiving, but the cylinder and piston do need to be close. No reason that as you get better, that you can't replace poor parts with better ones.

Yes ok true. I plan on getting a mini mill but not sure when that will happen. Ill buy some end mills and practice some. There's a huge amount to learn. I have to learn indicating which is key. Still need quite a few hand tools too.

Elmer Verburg's plans are now in the public domain (per Elmer's request).

View attachment 423273

Edit: link

What a great link!! Thank you. Downloading galore!

A small bar stock wobbler steam engine might be just right for you. Should be able to do it with what you have on hand. A steam engine is riot that tight tolerance for it to work. You definitely are not up to an IC or Sterling engine right now. Here is a Mr Pete link.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...C1678941CE355B576AEAC16&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
thanks , yes that's ideal is right. I've watched Pete's vids great stuff. I have to tool up more. Need a few things before I start.

My first engine (actual, my only engine) was my very first machining project, a Webster Engine, back in 2009.
https://www.machinistblog.com/free-plan-webster-engine-works-4-cycle-gas-engine/
It certainly was a learning experience... interesting, fun and frustrating. I suppose my most valuable lesson (of course learned the hard way, several times) was that even simple parts need careful planning on the best sequence of operations, including having to make some jigs, fixtures, and tools.
It did run, but only barely due to low compression. I should have bought my piston rings rather than making my own and the valves didn't seal well either.

Everybody has their own limits, money, requirements. etc. Here is how I approach things. Watch all the videos, read all the blogs you can. Anything that interests you, save it it or bookmark it for the future. Make a list of tools and materials. Look at what tools are used the most often. Decide what you can make and then look for good used tools . Some you will make and some you will buy. I waited on some tools for a year before I found one at a price I wanted to pay. It didn't matter because I didn't need it then. Then start slowly collecting materials to use. I work 6 months to a year out on projects to take advantage of sales and lower prices. I do some work for mom and pop operations. I don't charge enough but I always get double the material. If I screw up, I don't have to go back and buy more. When I don't screw up, I keep the extra. It's hard to get started.

Sure are. I leave piles of stuff every few months. Problem is, is that they won't let me buy any of it back. Not like the junk yards I dealt with 50 years ago. And before you say it, most machine shops won't let me buy their scrap. I have tried with very limited success. The welding company I deal with, will sell cutoffs at a fairly high price. Almost what I pay at a metals store.

Insurance first, lack of help second.

My first engine (actual, my only engine) was my very first machining project, a Webster Engine, back in 2009.
https://www.machinistblog.com/free-plan-webster-engine-works-4-cycle-gas-engine/
It certainly was a learning experience... interesting, fun and frustrating. I suppose my most valuable lesson (of course learned the hard way, several times) was that even simple parts need careful planning on the best sequence of operations, including having to make some jigs, fixtures, and tools.
It did run, but only barely due to low compression. I should have bought my piston rings rather than making my own and the valves didn't seal well either.
OK yes, I know nothing is easy but that's why we do things like this. Is that your blog ? very nice, Ill get into it deeper no doubt.

Back