First engine for a newbie to machining.

Tony P

Registered
Registered
Recommendations on a first engine kit ? Vendors for such kits?
Thanks

Recommendations on a first engine kit ? Vendors for such kits?
Thanks
Steam, air, or IC?

If you're looking to build an IC, the Webster is a good first build. Plans are readily available. No castings required; you supply all the raw stock and hardware.

Woops. I just noticed you are looking at Steam. My mistake.

Last edited:
Yes, I think steam would be easier to start with, I’m not against IC but doubt I can handle it now.

look here

Have you ever been to Rollag? If you love steam, you got to go. I have been three times and still have not seen it all. You can talk how to with experts.

Have you ever been to Rollag? If you love steam, you got to go. I have been three times and still have not seen it all. You can talk how to with experts.

Never been no. Hope to make the Cabin Fever show though.

look here

Yes but those are assembly kits aren’t they ? I know Little Machine Shop has them but limited.

What is your experience? What machines do you have? If you already have a decent set of machines and tooling and can use them, then money is your only restriction. If you are starting out, you have two choices, bar stock or castings. If you are close to metal suppliers, then there are numerous bar stock plans out there for free. Then your choice is aluminum, brass or steel.

If you pick castings, then there are two basic choices, PM Research or Stuart Models. Simply pick one in your price range and Google it. Both offer replacement parts if you make a mistake. There are so many videos of the starting engines, that you almost don't have to look at the plans, just follow the videos. Watch Keith Appleton videos. He recommends the S50 (I think) because the parts are larger, but is twice the cost of smaller ones. Simply walk down the list of questions and you should be very close to a decision. Your biggest choices for everything is the UK. You will find most plans, parts and models originate there. They have some really fantastic models for around $3-4K and will take you a year or more to build. You can dream about them when working on a Stuart 10V.. There are tons of videos showing the different model engines shows here in USA or UK, so you can probably see what you choose in operation.
Me, my first engine is a steam donkey from plans. Already started collecting the parts. Figuring on a year or so to do.

Chewy, New to machining other than using the lathe to make parts for my scale models. I have a Taig lathe and a decent drill press. I’ve made quite a few parts of wood, alum, brass and plastic but not to machine tolerances. My concern is if I need to mill and have to do it in the Taig it’s just a huge hassle as space is limited and milling horizontally isn’t the best way to do it. I had said steam but it really doesn’t matter. I have an interest in all engines.

Back