Firewood Processor

Hi Greg,
May I ask where you sourced your chain bar and hydraulic drive motor for it? I've been keeping an eye on kijiji for a used hydraulic motor. What type of hydraulic pump are you using? I have an old payloader that I was going to use as a donor for hydraulics and the engine. Been thinking of making a quick attach system to hook up to the payloader?
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just went back thru all the posts and I didn't realize you fabricated the saw! Nice work. What type of hydraulic motor runs it?
Thanks
Martin W

The basic design will handle 8 to 12 foot logs up to say 20 inch in dia. I'll load the logs onto a deck with the tractor, it will feed them one at a time to a chain that will move them in front of a mechanically driven chain saw bar which will cut them to length. Im thinking a mechanical drive over the more common very inefficient hydraulic drive used in the commercial units. The biggest chain saw you can buy might be 8 hp, a wood splitter with an 8 hp engine will split any wood you through at it, so where do the commercial units use up the 40 to 60 hp diesels they run. They may be quicker than mine but mine will be more efficient (think green). Once the block is cut a tilting table will roll it forward to the operator to position it for the best splitting. The commercial units split the block however it falls and produce an abundance of slivers. once split the wood will move to a short conveyor to load it onto a trailer for stacking.
Sounds easy, now we'll see if I can build it.
This project may take a while, I'll update as I go.
Greg

Martin, in the first post (quoted here) Greg mentions that he is using a mechanical drive rather than a hydraulic...

Greg, this is quite a piece of work! Awesome! I think, though, that your definition and mine of "tight budget" might vary just a bit... *chuckle* Again, nice work!

Hi Martin, as Reuben said the saw is belt driven through an electric clutch. I was planning on going with a serpentine belt but was given a new clutch with a single A section V belt drive. Think it will carry the load, if not an upgrade to serpentine or twin V belts won't be too tough.
Reuben, think we will get it operating for about 5% of the cost of a small commercial one. Thats a fair cost under run.
Thanks for looking.

Greg

Thanks
I missed that part. He is doing a fine job with the build. I guess I just assumed it would be hydraulic driven.
Cheers
Martin W

Yeah, I'd say that is a comparatively low budget... *chuckle* *grin* I was thinking more in absolute terms, I guess... Keep up the excellent work and the pictures of it. :)

What a BEAST!
I can't wait to see it handle some bigger stuff.

Nice work and thanks for documenting the build so well. I know it takes extra effort and discipline.

-brino

Back