Firewood Processor

Yup we had one on an Allis Chalmers combine. Had a hand crank. When cold you could put it on the compression stroke and she would start on a 1/2 a crank. When it was hot we would have to start it with a flat belt and pulley off the tractor. Man I hated that machine:(
Martin W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now here's a build , you out did yourself . Great job . You have an extremely nice shop , good things come from home shops like yours. I have the same mag drill , it came from a rental business , he wasn't able to rent it for a reason I've never encountered all the times I used it. They said the mag let go when it was used , the price was right free. Pays to be a good neighbor to them. I've been thinking of building a hydraulic bender . Another project on my list.
Did you use the diesel or the wisse? I thought I saw the diesel in the frame.

Thanks, seam to spend more time in the shop than the house so it should be nice. lol The drill belongs to a buddy, recall him saying the magnet has let go on him too, but its never failed me. With the torque they develop it wouldn't be pretty if it did let go.
Went with the diesel, they're both about the same rated horse power, expect the Kubota to be a lot more economical to run.
Made supports for the log deck to fold on today and started on a reservoir for the chain oil.
Close to paint time.

Greg

I have that same mag drill too, and it has let go on me; got the scar and busted motor housing to prove it.

I just want to see more VIDEO of this thing chewing wood! With 14 face-cord in my shed now for winter, each stick done by my 2 hands, I just love that thing!

Will get a video as soon as its operating. Picked up the small channel for the chain guides on the bunks yesterday. Now have to weld all that upside down, can't open the deck in the shop, and can't get the welder out to where I can open the deck.
I cut 20 some face cords each year.

Greg

Hi Greg
Do you sell wood too or 20 cord to burn? I had a wood stove in my house but half the rooms were cold. I burned 8 cord a year. Now I have a boiler and every room is warm and I burn 12-15 face cord. It's a lot of work , but I enjoy being in the bush.
By the way I think your processor is awesome!
Martin W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a boiler as well Martin. Heat the house and the shop with about 20 face cord a year. Installed radiant heat everywhere, nice to have warm toes in January.

Greg

I have a boiler as well Martin. Heat the house and the shop with about 20 face cord a year. Installed radiant heat everywhere, nice to have warm toes in January.

Greg

I live near a friend & business guy who heats his very large shop and another sizable out building with a wood burning boiler. He feeds the burner with a fork lift that has 6 ft long "tongs" that will place 2 1/2 ft. dia. & larger logs in the 'stove'. He gets his wood for free & delivered. It's a win-win situation. Local tree services truck full logs there to save labor and disposal costs. The "cool" part of it is most of the heat is "in-slab" hot water. I've been helping him with the design of a semi-automatic sawmill so that in future he can process lumber with the good stuff. ..... And, I hope this isn't hijacking the thread but maybe parallel to it.

Threads are for discussion Harry, carry on. The boiler I have is a high efficiency unit that meets EPA standards for some states. It uses a down draft system through a refractory reburn chamber. They claim it gasifies the wood then reburns the gases at 1800 deg F. When its running all you see are heat waves off the stack or water vapour if its real cold. 10 years and I've never cleaned the chimney so I guess it works. BUT it needs well seasoned wood to work well.
I put inslab heating in the machine shop but it didn't work out. The building seams to be too well insulated if thats possible, if we get a few really cold days the floor temp would increase to compensate, then we get mild weather and the slab would take a week to cool down and I was in my underwear trying to work. I installed an overhead rad heater with a fan to warm the air when you open the big doors. Thats all that heats the shop now and it might come on twice a day in cold weather. Amazingly the floor stays about 65 F according to the infrared temp gun.
The cabinet shop and house have radiant heat using pex pipe attached to the floor joists, it works great. Without the thermal mass the outdoor temperature swings go un noticed,

Back