Filing a metal block to true squareness

Sorry, silly duplicates...

Last edited:
LOL, never thought of myself as fileosopher.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. We get so myopic about machines when it's often less time consuming to just get 'er done with a file. And yeah, it takes practice as anything does. But once you've got the basics like an even stroke it's like riding a bike.

I sold all of my bikes cuz I cant ride them anymore........;)

• Haha
Reactions: Koi
Wow, that's crazy. It's funny I'd seen some of the logo's like the Enders and had no idea who the maker is!

Thanks for posting that, what a resource.

Leave it on there, it does no harm, and helps keep metal from sticking. I have had no trouble with rusting.

According to someone above it absorbs moisture and causes rust. I live in Honolulu which humidity is a concern. Thank you.

According to someone above it absorbs moisture and causes rust. I live in Honolulu which humidity is a concern. Thank you.
I am in the sunny California Sacramento valley (currently raining and overcast, common in the winter, along with fog) and have had zero problems with files rusting, with or without chalk, in my unheated garage shop. YMMV.

Pick up a pair of corduroy pants at a used clothing store. When filing or sanding just wipe the file or sandpaper on your thigh after every few strokes. Makes it easy to keep the tool clear and cutting efficiently. Corduroy should work for clearing chalk too.

Back