Filing a metal block to true squareness

Firstly, yes it is possible and not really that hard, just requires long hours of practice and a bit of help with technique, Patience is it's own reward. Filing a cube is not just an exercise in patience. The great reward is when you realise that you can do something that you previously thought impossible, you will now realise that you can also do other things that appear impossible, it opens your eyes to your own ability.

Secondly with the file pilling ie. small bits of metal getting stuck in the grooves and marring the work. Get a file card and use this to clean the file regularly, and then take a piece of chalk, and file the chalk so that the file grooves are filled with chalk then when you start filing the chalk prevents the the small pieces of metal from sticking to the file, your file will cut cleaner and last longer. A word of warning always clean the chalk off the file when you've finished with it. The chalk will attract moisture , especially in a humid climate and will start the file rusting.
I use a metal brush though.is there any difference like the thickness of each wire.

Oh ok:) but at least you contributed something than nothing.I think I'm contributing nothing but asking for advices at the same time allowing people like me
with the same questions to have a reference to refer to instead of opening a new thread.

Oh ok:) but at least you contributed something than nothing.I think I'm contributing nothing but asking for advices at the same time allowing people like me
with the same questions to have a reference to refer to instead of opening a new thread.

You hit on something very deep with this thread. Making stuff flat and square is at the heart of what we are about here and filing is a skill we should all strive to be component in even if it's not to this level. Sometimes we get carried away with fancy tools and accessories but posts like yours remind us that basics matter.

John

I use a metal brush though.is there any difference like the thickness of each wire.
I picked up this trick and it's a bit of a shocker but I've used a file card and brushes for years but a couple guys mentioned using the end of chop sticks. It was incredible what come out of my old files. They cut far better after a going over. They still clean far better than my file card which is use for a quick swipe. But when they seem to quit cutting its time for the chop sticks.

I picked up this trick and it's a bit of a shocker but I've used a file card and brushes for years but a couple guys mentioned using the end of chop sticks. It was incredible what come out of my old files. They cut far better after a going over. They still clean far better than my file card which is use for a quick swipe. But when they seem to quit cutting its time for the chop sticks.
You mean the head of the chopstick or the part you pick food up.

Either end, the point for tough stuff.

You rub the chop stick parallel to the teeth and it conforms to the teeth and pushes the buildup out. Not in the direction you would file in. You're cleaning not filing.

I use a 6 inch long piece of 1/2 inch soft copper pipe, because I had no chopsticks. ;)I smashed one end flat for the file, cobbled up a broomstick handle for my end. In no time at all, the copper is cut to fit the grooves between the file teeth, (running parallel to the teeth), and will push stuff out of there that will amaze you. Follow with the chalk, and you are ready to go. ( Good tip on chalk and humidity. Glad I DON'T have humidity, sometimes)

You rub the chop stick parallel to the teeth and it conforms to the teeth and pushes the buildup out. Not in the direction you would file in. You're cleaning not filing.
That's what I meant lol.sorry if I wasn't elaborating enough

Back