Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A

Just purchased a Preenex 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A.
So far looks great. Putting a 5" 4 jaw chuck and a Aloris AXA tool post on and a steady rests. Sold my 9A and down side

Dave
20231128_161059.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't help it but the brand name sounds like an accessory for a birdcage LOL
It more of importer name.
If look at 10 brands they all same lathe.
My lathe is 7" swing razed to 8.3" by manufacturer. The price is from $590 to over $900.
I have purchased steady rest, 5" 4 jaw with backing plate and carriage stop. Installing my Aloris AXA tool post , south bend tapper attachment, DC feed and carriage lock

It more of importer name.
If look at 10 brands they all same lathe.
My lathe is 7" swing razed to 8.3" by manufacturer. The price is from $590 to over $900.
I have purchased steady rest, 5" 4 jaw with backing plate and carriage stop. Installing my Aloris AXA tool post , south bend tapper attachment, DC feed and carriage lock
im running an 0XA wedge tool post how do you like the AXA on that size lathe?

im running an 0XA wedge tool post how do you like the AXA on that size lathe?
I have had tool post since 1970's. So move lathe to lathe.
If had the OXA size I would purchase that size.

I purchase a compound for 6"/7" lathe so tool post fix the AXA tool post it fit just right and have all holders I like.

Dave

Seems like it is too large for the compound, but the real question is, can the tools be set to the center-line? If you can't then it is too big.

Edit: It's possible it could fit, but getting to center-line is the acid test. On my Grizzly G0752Z, a 10x22 lathe, some AXA tool holders cannot get to center-line with a 1/2" tool. I suspect that on a mini-lathe class machine, and an AXA, one will be limited to 3/8" and under tooling just to get on center. Maybe even 1/4". If that is the case, it is probably better to get an OXA set. OXA will handle 3/8" no issue.

The key thing is to measure (with precision) the height from the top of compound to the center-line of the lathe. This can be measured, with the help of a micrometer, a 123 block and some shims. Chuck up a rod, and lightly turn it so it is concentric with the spindle. Remove your tool post, and stack a 123 block and whatever shims you have to fill the distance from the compound to the bottom of the rod. Measure the rod diameter with your micrometer. Measure the shims and the 123 block that were used to fill the gap. The total distance is the 1/2 the diameter of the rod + the sum of the shims + 123 block. You can easily look up the range of operation for OXA and AXA tooling. Hopefully, you are within the range of an AXA tool post.

If you can't hit center-line your lathe won't operate correctly. You will get poor results.

Last edited:
Standard tool holders have 4 key dimensions. Dimensions A (bottom of holder to top of slot), B (height of slot), C (width of slot) and D (total height of holder). You are limited by the bottom of the tool holder resting on the compound surface normally.

OXA dimensions: A: 0.66", B: 0.5", C: 0.327", D: 1.1"
AXA dimensions: A: 0.9375", B: 0.5", C: 0.4375", D: 1.5"

So you can't go lower than y= (A-B)+toolbit_height. So your spindle to compound height had better be greater than (or equal to) y. I had to learn this the hard way. On my G0752Z 10x22 lathe, y was greater than the spindle height in my case. I had to machine off the bottom of the tool holder to make it work. I did this because, it was only one or two AXA holders that were too tall, the rest were ok. If they are all too tall, just get the smaller tool post and set.

Back