Feedback on first lathe - 8x14 600W variable speed lathe CJ210A

It sounds like you are mechanically inclined and the items you work on are fairly large. My opinion is similar to DavidR8. My personal experience with the lathes that I have owned is such….

As I was learning – I found that I was able to produce better parts on heavier machines. They had more mass and I could get better finishes. More room to work. Though all my machines are in very good condition (either restored or purchased that way). I now most always go to my largest lathe (12”) over my smaller machines. I find it the most enjoyable to run. [ In contrast I have seen beautiful work produced on a 7x10 by others.]

I think you will find a larger lathe a better value for the type of work, I am thinking, that you want to do.

I patiently sought after lathes that I felt were a good value – that I could resell without a loss if I decided to. I guess I have been fortunate in finding good deals. If you have friend that is knowledgable in machinery take them with you to inspect. I have acquired most all my tooling with the machines or going to estate auctions.

Though our experiences-hence our opinions- are all different – we are all here trying to help you on this fun (and costly) journey. Good luck.

My only advice is if buying used, take your time. I've been looking at everything I can find for about a year now, and in a year I've only found a couple of suitable lathes come up on local craigslist ad's.

I'll admit i didn't look very close at your ebay listing. Most 8x lathes I have seen are roughly 2x the price of the 7x lathes. Thisoldtony on youtube has a few excellent video's on the 7x lathe's if your interested at all. I think most of the information will apply to the 8x lathes as well.

For what it's worth, this is the lathe I got a few months ago. It's a turret lathe, so definitely not the same thing, but it was a good deal, I have the room for it, and was able to move it (Took 4-5 of us 16 hours to move 40 miles). Just spending lots of time now figuring out the 3 phase stuff to a point where I won't kill myself. I will admit though, I think old turret lathes are neat, and no one can get rid of them. I kinda want another...

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 241
It sounds like you are mechanically inclined and the items you work on are fairly large. My opinion is similar to DavidR8. My personal experience with the lathes that I have owned is such….

As I was learning – I found that I was able to produce better parts on heavier machines. They had more mass and I could get better finishes. More room to work. Though all my machines are in very good condition (either restored or purchased that way). I now most always go to my largest lathe (12”) over my smaller machines. I find it the most enjoyable to run. [ In contrast I have seen beautiful work produced on a 7x10 by others.]

I think you will find a larger lathe a better value for the type of work, I am thinking, that you want to do.

I patiently sought after lathes that I felt were a good value – that I could resell without a loss if I decided to. I guess I have been fortunate in finding good deals. If you have friend that is knowledgeable in machinery take them with you to inspect. I have acquired most all my tooling with the machines or going to estate auctions.

Though our experiences-hence our opinions- are all different – we are all here trying to help you on this fun (and costly) journey. Good luck.

Unfortunately I do not have a friend with this kind of knowledge...

My only advice is if buying used, take your time. I've been looking at everything I can find for about a year now, and in a year I've only found a couple of suitable lathes come up on local craigslist ad's.

I'll admit i didn't look very close at your ebay listing. Most 8x lathes I have seen are roughly 2x the price of the 7x lathes. Thisoldtony on youtube has a few excellent video's on the 7x lathe's if your interested at all. I think most of the information will apply to the 8x lathes as well.

For what it's worth, this is the lathe I got a few months ago. It's a turret lathe, so definitely not the same thing, but it was a good deal, I have the room for it, and was able to move it (Took 4-5 of us 16 hours to move 40 miles). Just spending lots of time now figuring out the 3 phase stuff to a point where I won't kill myself. I will admit though, I think old turret lathes are neat, and no one can get rid of them. I kinda want another...

I must admit... patience is not one of my strong virtues when it comes to buying tools... I want to start playing as soon as possible. That always plays against me. Stupid on my end, I know... I am only saved by the fact that I am capped on the financial side, lol, I do not have the excess income to spend without control... that and the CFO at home keeps me in check.

Anyway, a good example is that I wanted to learn how to use a TIG welder... rather than doing my homework (like I am trying to do now with the lathe research) I went and got one.... well, turns out that what I got does not work with aluminum, and that is something I wanted to play with. So I will be spending now more on getting a spool gun for my MIG welder (which I am learning is not the optimal solution for welding aluminum) or fork the bill for another TIG welder with Aluminum welding capabilities (which is what I will end up doing)...

With the lathe, I think that I will be able to hold off on an impulse buy (I keep repeating that on my head) to do the proper research. It helps that I am limited on space at home right now... next year, if all goes well, I should have a workshop for all my carp. Here is a photo of what my garage looks like between the times I get to organize it (only to mess it up again in a couple of months):

7ab550ed-586e-4853-a926-2eaa2f34d053_zpsf9aj6yj6-jpg.185210

I was looking at the small lathes because I could place it on top of my bench for now... Here is a bad photo of the bench, this was back in 2015 when the mill arrived... you see ii behind the mill and drill press... I could clear it for the mini lathe to be placed there...

7bec1324-1f3a-48e2-929b-01d277db927e_zpsvii82rqn-jpg.185281

I barely have enough space for the mill with all the other carp that is in the way for a lathe on a stand... on a side note, love to play with the mill... need to get of my arse to finally install the DRO I made for it...

mill.jpg

Reading all the feedback, I should just wait for when I have my workshop and then start looking for the right lathe... arghhh man, I wanted to play now!! :D

Last edited:
To avoid a second TIG experience I would do more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have out of curiosity played in the store with the HF little lathes. I apologize for saying this, and I am sure some will disagree, but they seem like toys. The size and quality are just at a level that I could not imagine doing anything that was truly fun with this equipment. Perhaps if you worked only on small plastic or soft metal pieces, making clocks maybe...but for the cost, I am sure an older Logan or South Bend would be much more satisfying.

And remember, whatever you spend on a “real” lathe, you will get that back or better if you trade up later. I am not sure that is true of mini-lathes.

P.S. I have nothing against making clocks.

Funny you say that; they had one running at the West Springfield Mass store a month back when I was there, and had exactly the same reaction. Nothing felt tight or rigid; the controls sorta kinda worked. They wouldn't let me actually turn anything or touch the machine while it was running. It was bouncing around a bit, too, but that was probably because no attempt had been made to level it.
Tim

Unfortunately I do not have a friend with this kind of knowledge...

I must admit... patience is not one of my strong virtues when it comes to buying tools... I want to start playing as soon as possible. That always plays against me. Stupid on my end, I know... I am only saved by the fact that I am capped on the financial side, lol, I do not have the excess income to spend without control... that and the CFO at home keeps me in check.

Anyway, a good example is that I wanted to learn how to use a TIG welder... rather than doing my homework (like I am trying to do now with the lathe research) I went and got one.... well, turns out that what I got does not work with aluminum, and that is something I wanted to play with. So I will be spending now more on getting a spool gun for my MIG welder (which I am learning is not the optimal solution for welding aluminum) or fork the bill for another TIG welder with Aluminum welding capabilities (which is what I will end up doing)...

With the lathe, I think that I will be able to hold off on an impulse buy (I keep repeating that on my head) to do the proper research. It helps that I am limited on space at home right now... next year, if all goes well, I should have a workshop for all my carp. Here is a photo of what my garage looks like between the times I get to organize it (only to mess it up again in a couple of months):

7ab550ed-586e-4853-a926-2eaa2f34d053_zpsf9aj6yj6-jpg.185210

I was looking at the small lathes because I could place it on top of my bench for now... Here is a bad photo of the bench, this was back in 2015 when the mill arrived... you see ii behind the mill and drill press... I could clear it for the mini lathe to be placed there...

7bec1324-1f3a-48e2-929b-01d277db927e_zpsvii82rqn-jpg.185281

I barely have enough space for the mill with all the other carp that is in the way for a lathe on a stand... on a side note, love to play with the mill... need to get of my arse to finally install the DRO I made for it...

View attachment 310569

Reading all the feedback, I should just wait for when I have my workshop and then start looking for the right lathe... arghhh man, I wanted to play now!! :D
Is that a 912 engine in the foreground?

Is that a 912 engine in the foreground?

Yes... with the help of the 912BBS forum, I rebuilt that engine from scratch...

From this:

912-1.JPG

To this and with no prior knowledge on rebuilding an engine... nothing more dangerous than an ignorant with initiative, lol :

IMG_4055.jpg

Everything documented here:

I have out of curiosity played in the store with the HF little lathes. I apologize for saying this, and I am sure some will disagree, but they seem like toys. The size and quality are just at a level that I could not imagine doing anything that was truly fun with this equipment. Perhaps if you worked only on small plastic or soft metal pieces, making clocks maybe...but for the cost, I am sure an older Logan or South Bend would be much more satisfying.

And remember, whatever you spend on a “real” lathe, you will get that back or better if you trade up later. I am not sure that is true of mini-lathes.

P.S. I have nothing against making clocks.

I've fiddled with the 7x12s at Harbor Freight, I agree with you on the quality, plastic handles and the fit feels loose and sloppy none of which inspire confidence. Presumably the display models are just thrown together out of a box with little care and no adjustment. One properly assembled and adjusted might offer a better first impression. Still I gather most owners do a fair bit of improvement to theirs in order to make them serviceable, so there is added cost of better parts and the time investment to consider.

I have a Sherline mini-lathe (even smaller) and I've fiddled with a 9x20 Jet at the local metal supply and both are miles ahead of the HF as far as fit and finish go. I've made parts from steel on my Sherline, so pretty sure the 7x12 can too.

Size is pretty subjective entirely based on what you are doing, I've had a lot of fun turning tiny parts for models on my Sherline. There is a Monarch 20x96" lathe in the shop where I'm taking welding classes and pretty much everything seems like a toy compared to that beast.

Small lathes actually seem to hold their value pretty well. I think most any tool loses about 40% the second you open the box. The mini-lathes seem to be no worse here and maybe even do a little better since they are fairly cheap to start with and many buyers are just starting out in the hobby with a small budget so saving $100 on a $500 mini-lathe seems like a deal. Agree with you on used, assuming you start with a decent deal you can probably get back what you put in.
That of course assumes you find a good deal, and it is not hard for a new and inexperienced hobby machinist to score themselves a turd the first time out.

Back