Face / Shell Mill Inserts

dlane

Active User
Registered
i now have two face mills and they use tmg inserts ?. "Hopefully they don't go extinct "
The inserts that were in the mills have a ground flat on the radius all three sides.
I ordered some TMG 322 inserts for one mill , they don't have a flat on the radius.
Is there a code for face mill inserts with the flat on one side of the radius?.
Also arbors for them , I have a r8 and a 3/4" straight shank that should fit the mill head , witch would you use
If you look at the insert tip you can kinda see the flat by the radius , pic not real good
image.jpeg
And the arbors, wondering why center one is split on end
image.jpeg
Thanks.

As for arbors I would use R8. The center one is probably from a set that had different ends for different size face mills. As for the flat on the radius I have seen that on inserts with large radius for clearance, but that is a guess.
Here is a link that gives the info on insert designation.
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Is the flat on the insert what is called the wiper ? And is there a code for that , tpg322 ??.
Thanks KD

Thanks Again KD, it appears the wiper improves surface finish, I'll try both and see what happens

I have three life times supplies of TPG inserts on hand. I have never used a wiper insert in my face mills. I get nice mill finishes with the inserts I use. Now, what I do is use a insert with a large nose radius like a TPG323 or TPG324 that will act as a wiper insert and I get very good results on my Index 645 mill. Don't be afraid to "push" a face mill when cutting. They are meant to be fed, along with with higher RPM's in the 600-900 SFM, even on a clone type of mill.

A wiper insert is only used on mills where you can apply high feed rates and have rigidity in the mill to handle it. It's hard to do this on a Bridgeport type of mill even if you have HP available to do so. Some of you may disagree with me on, but just MHO.

my Mitsubishi ASX445 3 inch has a separate wiper insert, it looks waaay different than the standard insert, it also, and this is important, sits about .008 below the other inserts. I agree with ken, I already get a pretty damn nice finish with just the standard inserts, albeit they are light duty inserts meant for lighter cuts, but that wiper is like wow. (I still take .125 doc with those light duty inserts)

chevydyl,

I forgot about the use of only one wiper insert on a face mill. Old school stuff, actually still used. And yes, it was always set just a tad below the other inserts to create the wiper action. Used to have a Lovejoy face mill that had a similar setup.

Another cool trick with face mills is to remove all but one insert, running it like a fly cutter, very nice finish as you'd expect, if you run a wiper insert it's a similar action, just that you can take a much faster cut with all the inserts installed

Thanks guys I'm out of town till Monday I'll get back after it then

Back