Face / Shell Mill Inserts

i have an acer 3hp clone, 9x42, CNC, and yes for the ultimate finish I speed up rpm and slow down feed for the final pass, it will leave a mirror finish on steel, even on alum with steel inserts it will mirror, just give it a wipe with a rag. my face mill is 3inch diameter 6 tooth.
for roughing steel I usually run it at .100 doc, around 300rpm, and about 3.5ipm or so, it just chugs right through it. then for the finish I run about 1000-1300rpm around 6ipm, see, this is what I spoke of earlier, CHIP LOAD, at 1000rpm and 6ipm I get a .001 chip load, if I ran it at 3ipm its .0005 chip, it causes rubbing, at 300rpm, and a .002 chip, the feed is 3.6ipm, I guess that stuff isn't really relevant to this topic but it gives people something to think of when running their tools, rubbing dulls the tools quickly, and ive only rotated edges on those inserts once since ive owned it about 8months now or so

i have an acer 3hp clone, 9x42, CNC, and yes for the ultimate finish I speed up rpm and slow down feed for the final pass, it will leave a mirror finish on steel, even on alum with steel inserts it will mirror, just give it a wipe with a rag. my face mill is 3inch diameter 6 tooth.
for roughing steel I usually run it at .100 doc, around 300rpm, and about 3.5ipm or so, it just chugs right through it. then for the finish I run about 1000-1300rpm around 6ipm, see, this is what I spoke of earlier, CHIP LOAD, at 1000rpm and 6ipm I get a .001 chip load, if I ran it at 3ipm its .0005 chip, it causes rubbing, at 300rpm, and a .002 chip, the feed is 3.6ipm, I guess that stuff isn't really relevant to this topic but it gives people something to think of when running their tools, rubbing dulls the tools quickly, and ive only rotated edges on those inserts once since ive owned it about 8months now or so

Excellent info! Thanks for providing it.

When I looked at using them, I did not think my 1HP J-Head would be up to the task. From the manufactures' data, seemed like they were out to the realm for my Bridgeport. I definitely would have to modify the parameters to run on my mill, but might give it a shot now.

Back