Face / Shell Mill Inserts

I just realized after taking a second look, I have that same r8 3 tooth cutter......hate it

I just realized after taking a second look, I have that same r8 3 tooth cutter......hate it

Really? It looks like the one I have (ISCAR Indexable End Mill - IEM-150-R8) and I love it!

The 3 insert one that I have that I don't care much for is the Dolfa 6-915-020 it takes SPG 423 inserts instead of the TPU 322 inserts of the ISCAR and does not provide the finish the ISCAR does.

mines an import brand, but I never really get a great finish with it, and its loud, my Mitsubishi is the Cadillac of my face mill selection, almost silent running. its the zero angle of the tpg inserts that suck, puts more load on the machine, the 45 degs reduce load on the machine and put it into the work if I remember correctly. I have a little valenite 1 inch 2 flute that uses the squares and it leaves a really good finish.

I would only add that the rigidity in the setup/fixturing of the part is frequently the limiting factor. I'm having really good results with the Glacern 45 degree face mill I purchased, steel or aluminum, but when the stock is held rigid. A bit too much stick out from a vice even on thick stock and chatter is an issue.

This should show the flat on the insert better,
The larger one came on the three insert cutter
Is there a designation for the flat "wiper ?" .?
I got tpg322 inserts for the center cutter but they don't have the flats,
There Kinda proud of inserts and don't want to buy things that aren't going to work.
Thanks
image.jpeg
The cutter on left would be nice to use but I'm told the inserts are no longer available
Any suggestions for it ?.

Wiper insert or wiper area on insert improves the surface finish in face milling operation. Here's a technical PDF that goes through the benefits (first page pretty much tells the story without going too technical): http://modtech.ro/international-journal/vol2no22010/Antonio_Mourao.pdf

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the need or benefit of wiper technology on our hobby machines. If we had large CNC mills, with high spindle and feed rates, that would be a different story.

I use wipers when I want the most beautiful perfect surface finish you ever did see.....otherwise who cares

Yes, it is suppose provide an beautiful surface finish. What machine are you using and are you upping the speed and feed?

Back