Ethanol strikes again .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Carb is off the zero turn and will be put into the ultrasonic cleaner for 12 hrs tonight . This is a new engine and is suppose to run off this E90 or E85 gas . Yeah , I guess it will run until the ethanol eats everything up inside . Why are they/we allowed to sell this **** ? You can't put it in planes because the gubmint doesn't want planes falling out of the sky , yet it's good for everyday harry home owners . :rolleyes:

I see that my ACE hardware is selling small cans of fuel for yard equipment (at least oil mix) I have not taken a close look at it to see what-all types it comes in; I'm assuming it is no alky. I'm also assuming that it is not real cheap.

I use non-ethanol regular gas in my small engines and two-cycle engines. I get it from my bulk distributor delivered to my farm tank. There is one station in town that sells non-ethanol at the pump, and the card-lock has a non-ethanol premium pump.

The extra cost, even of premium, is worth it to avoid the problems with small engine fuel systems. You have to be very careful not to introduce any ethanol gas into your gas cans or tanks!

They sell pre-mix everywhere at $18 a gallon . I go up into Pa and fill containers up with un-ethanol out of the pump at $3.80 a gallon , add 2 stroke oil and run it in all the chainsaws and weed whackers . I use 10 gallons a week in the zero turn easily , I guess I need more containers . :) I'll get it running and I'll run the good stuff thru the mower also from now on . Just not worth the aggravation of dealing with clogged up carbs . If I had my way , the zero turn would be a diesel Kubota and get away from gas once and for all . :encourage:

I saw a video about that premix and they had nothing good to say. From price to quality of fuel and gumming up the system.
I see that my ACE hardware is selling small cans of fuel for yard equipment (at least oil mix) I have not taken a close look at it to see what-all types it comes in; I'm assuming it is no alky. I'm also assuming that it is not real cheap.

I have a car that sits in storage 6 mo. a year.

I run the tank almost dry, then put in non ethanol fuel. Run that tank down then completely fill with non ethanol fuel before storing it. Cost was well over $6 a gallon this year.

At the beginning of the summer I make about 10 gallons of non alcohol fuel by adding water and collecting the alcohol with the water and use it for my small engines. Check some videos on doing this. So California no no alcohol fuel anywhere I can find.

Been running pump gas (10% ethanol) in my old cars, old trucks, chainsaws, and chipper forever. No problems.

I saw a video about that premix and they had nothing good to say. From price to quality of fuel and gumming up the system.
The premix is available here but I don't know anyone who runs it. 100% gas is plentiful locally in 87, 89 and 91 octane. Seems I remember Sthil recommends 89 or better.

Back