ELS on Mini-Lathe?

It's pretty thin, almost no current is needed. It's just the sensor on the servo. So I expect 24g would be fine. I doubt you would find a 6" cable. You could probably cut a chunk out of an old serial or parallel cable.

I didn't want to cut the the servo's cable and I don't know if that "extension" has SOME purpose for testing /trouble shooting down the road, so I figured I just go ahead and buy one. Digikey? Forget it. Impossible to find anything there (though I'm pretty sure they have everything) I searched the internet for a couple hours. Under 15 pin, VGA cables really just come up. Under serial, just DB9 come up. What's a straight through and what's not? I don't know. There actually was a comment in Amazon for a VGA that actually changed the pin through. I will just have to add some length.
Crazy how difficult (impossible) it is to find a 15pin (de15?) straight though, of any length....
Thanks for the help though everyone, I'm glad this ended up being nothing.

A question for whomever know the answer. I did some design changes to keep everything under the hood. The issue I'm sure that will come up, the encoder will be on the right side of it's pulley, rather than the left side of the pulley as Clough has. My encoder will be turning the opposite way now. Does anyone know what I will need to change so this will be correct when running forward versus revers? That is, when I cutting in forward direction, the carriage should move towards the chuck. If my encoder is reversed, I would assume this will be backwards unless I changes something?
This is just a mock up obviously...image0.jpeg

I'm not sure if the carriage will move reverse, but my guess is that it will. But that's easy enough to change in the code if you need to. There might already be a configuration option for it in there.

Edit the configuration.h file and change the line that says INVERT_DIRECTION_PIN. Either comment or uncomment this line. Recompile and download again.

Can't you change direction of stepper via the switches on the driver? I'm trying to find the "manual" for the Kl-5056(?), but not sure if it actually has one.

I have a different driver/stepper than Clough used but my driver has a switch assignment table on the cover. Mine has a motor direction switch.

Yeah, I need to do more checks on forward and reverse, but in forward mode, the carriage moves away from the chuck. I have the encoder bearing and final belt size on the way so Tuesday I'll see what all issues I need to check off.
Thanks for ideas everyone.

So I did get things a bit more setup for better tests. The stepper is moving in the wrong direction because of flipping the encoder mounting direction. The easiest would be if the stepper driver has direction control on one of it switches, if not, I will have to edit that line in the configuration file as @devils4ever suggested. I'm looking forward to this project being behind me.
I pressed a bearing in for the encoder shaft to ride on....no reason I should have to remake that bracket in aluminum....agreed? I post a picture later on.

Back