ELS on Mini-Lathe?

I am using a pulley on all parts. It’s not much but I can see it in belt tension varying when rotating.

I guess this is a good place to ask this question.
I had to extend the wires for the stepper, and it DID NOT like it. It would try to turn the stepper then a red light (over current) On driver would flash & stepper was out. I’m sure about everyone had to be tend those 12-18” wires from stepper...anyone experience this?

I guess this is a good place to ask this question.
I had to extend the wires for the stepper, and it DID NOT like it. It would try to turn the stepper then a red light (over current) On driver would flash & stepper was out. I’m sure about everyone had to be tend those 12-18” wires from stepper...anyone experience this?

I looked at my stepper wiring and they are at least 2' long. 12+" outside the enclosure and 12+" inside. You may have another issue. Measure the resistance between the 3 phases with an meter. They should all be about the same.

Also, check the encoder wiring. Maybe there's an issue there. Make sure you use the extension cable provided. It must be used.

Lastly, there's a serial port on the driver that can be used to configure it. I'm not sure but there may be diagnostics there that can tell you why there's a fault.

What's odd is, I removed the extension cable from stepper and problem gone. I do have a VFD on my lathe which has the extreme possibility of putting off a lot of noise. (though I do have 2 kinds of filtering going on) I "get to" spend some time this weekend dinkering around with it. What I KNOW is the problem comes from patching in some cable to the stepper. Green, brown and black..no chance I've wired them wrong. I'd route a different way but either way it will pass right up against the VFD motor and or extend the cables further. Fun!

Ok, got it somewhat sorted out. The stepper came with a RS232 extension/patch cord. THAT'S the culprit. I wouldn't have guessed, seems like if it came with that, I'd be safe to use it? Anyway, it's purpose must not be so much for extending is rerouting the wires internally. OK, well I need to extend that cable as well, anyone know of an easy way? is there an extension that doesn't shift the wiring about?
Someone/somewhere suggested this as a problem. I don't think it was here, but where ever you are....you are correct!

Yes, you need that cable. I don't know why they did it that way, but it is what it is. The link has the pinout so you can adapt it if needed. I think the PDF for the driver has it as well. I actually cut it down, 6ft was more than I needed. I was putting the aviation connectors in anyway, so I just cut some out there. The 3 drive wires I extended using some of the cable the motor vendor sells. It's nothing special though, about any 3 wire cable would work.

To extend the servo encoder wire, you might be able to use an old serial cable. You would have to compare the pinouts. At worst, the wire would work if you cut the ends off and installed new DB9 connectors.

If you are getting interference from a VFD, you might try running the control cables away from it as much as possible. Avoid running parallel, cross at 90 degrees as much as possible. I haven't had problems with the VFD, but I don't have the wiring close to it and shorter wires help as well.

Wow! Though that problem only existed a day before I got to the issue,it was a bit un-nerving. Thanks for the link! @ttabbal I wonder what that cable's purpose is? If nothing I need, perhaps I'll canabalize it for some fittings. I would LOVE to get this project done and outta here, but the devil is in the details...

I suspect the cable is just to adapt the pinout. They probably had one side already and it was cheaper to include a cable than to make a new motor or controller.

The DB15 connector...its for the servo so just a signal cable. Can I use 24g? its 5 strand wire. I honestly don't know what it uses, but when I looked inside plug to see how it IS wired, it looked about that thin....I might just patch in 6" and be done with this. I really cant find any short cables, they all seem to be 3 or more feet long.

Back