ELS on Mini-Lathe?

Yeah, it's 24/72. I assumed when clough was setting his up (video 10) he went though this big explanation that he's not using a stepper, so he's setting his to 1 and 1000. That must have been the test phase...not the final. I'll try that tomorrow. 10 minutes here, ten minutes there to work on this project. I will say it is SO much quiter with out all those metal gears on gears now, but I'm ready to cut some damn threads!
Thanks @ttabbal

Yes, you need to account for the pulley ratios in the file. I had to set STEPPER_MICROSTEPS to 3 since I was using a pulley reduction of 1:3 on the stepper drive to the leadscrew.

Also, Cough mentions changes the drive settings to 1000 pulses/rev instead of 4000. From my previous post:
So, I use the calibration cable from Automation Technologies along with their ESDSeries software and see that the motor is set to 4000 pulses/rev. I set it to 1000...

I looked for your previous post, maybe on a different thread, I didn’t see it here. I’ll have to go back and watch his videos, it’s been a while since I started this project. I do remember him changes steps from 1000 to 4096, your saying you run yours at 1000 micro steps now? Maybe that 4096 was for a stepper nor a servo?

It took me a bit to find it, but Clough talks about programming the hybrid servo drive in Part 4 of his ELS series around time: 16:00.

Of course, you could leave that and change the Configuration.h file instead. Change the STEPPER_RESOLUTION line to 4000. I think this may cause issues since the servo drive is getting 4X as many pulses and may exceed the maximum frequency.

Woah! Wait a second...you say you adjusted the stepper to 1000 not the config.H file?! How the h3ll do you do that? I agree, I think you would exceed its capabilities (maybe not for threading, but for feeding you could) how do I change servo settings?

Yes, you can program the servo drive via their cable and serial port on your PC. They call it a calibration cable.

Then, you need to download from Automation Technologies the software called Protune. Here's their video.

So THIS is what that damn cable the caused me headaches is for...glad I didn’t cut it up to make it work. I remember having a convo here about it when I figured out it was the problem I was having...must be a different thread though. Alright, guess I get to screw around with a bunch of software tomorrow....my FAV!
Thanks Devil!
*edit...no, that’s not the cable I have. Super, got to order that and string this thing out further. Bummer.

It's pretty easy. The hard part is finding a serial port on your PC! I had to buy a USB-serial cable since most new PCs don't have a COM1 port any more.

Yeah, but A.T. Website (link you sent) looks like a serial rs232 to a RJ45 Ethernet? If your saying a USB to serial works...I have that from my old UTEC tuning days...that’s at least a good thing!

Back