Electric Vehicles on the horizon? Do your homework

Take away gas and Diesel engines
how are you going to charge it
people don’t wan nuclear, coal, or anyother type of electrical generators
no Mater what charging system you use there is still polluting
Around us it is wind and hydro, which is pretty darn great environmentally (comparatively at least). There are some solar plants that some companies are planning in the south-west that could power the whole country pretty easily.

Even so, a powerplant, no matter what it uses to power itself, is going to be significantly better than the equivalent in in gas/diesel cars. This is definitely a "don't let perfect be the enemy of better" situation.

Around us it is wind and hydro, which is pretty darn great environmentally (comparatively at least). There are some solar plants that some companies are planning in the south-west that could power the whole country pretty easily.

Even so, a powerplant, no matter what it uses to power itself, is going to be significantly better than the equivalent in in gas/diesel cars. This is definitely a "don't let perfect be the enemy of better" situation.

Refining 1 gal of gas require 5-7KWH of electricity which provides about 25 miles of range in an EV so it's pretty much a wash.

For me to drive 1500kms/month I use $22 worth of electricity or about 220KWH. That equals about 5 days of A/C

Refining 1 gal of gas require 5-7KWH of electricity which provides about 25 miles of range in an EV so it's pretty much a wash.

For me to drive 1500kms/month I use $22 worth of electricity or about 220KWH. That equals about 5 days of A/C
Refining gas is just one of the many costs associated with gas. Refining vs driving: yes those are equal. But now the gas doesn't have to be extracted, distributed,shipped or pumped.

Look up Nurburgring Tesla. The ‘ring is quite a bit of slalom. Don’t remember seeing the Ring number for the Ford F-150 btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are missing the point. Can electric cars be fast? Yes, for short spurts. Can they be nimble. No. Can they respond in a timely manner to driver commands? You would think so, but practice shows no. Are they fun to drive? Emphatically NO. Every one is a wallowing pig that is quite unpredictable. When you romp on the pedal you never know exactly how much power the computers decide you can have. Or (even worse) when. This is especially true of hybrids. Same goes for the steering and brakes. Maybe it will... eventually.... turn. Or stop.

Believe me, over the course of my recently ended career, I have driven about every form of vehicle out there. My attitude has always been life is too short to drive a borinig car. And certainly too short to tolerate an ill behaved one. The video I posted was not chosen at random. I don't know why you brought an F150 into this.

Okay, I looked up Tesla at ring as requested. Specifically the Model S, since that is their flagship and the one I have direct experience driving. For reference, my summer daily shows 8:32 and my winter daily (same car but with a solid roof) is 8:22. That's stock. Both of mine have minor mods. So on to the review of the Model S at the ring.

"""
For Holland, this was his first time driving a pure electric vehicle at the Ring and he was mostly impressed:

"Yes, it was heavy. Yes, it had almost no mechanical grip. And yes, the steering was as numb as my jaw after a trip to the dentist. However, considering that the Model S is a brand new car, from a car company that didn't exist 10 years ago, using technology that had (at the time of founding of the company) never been successfully mass produced on any large scale, I am suitably impressed."

"So what was the lap like from the drivers seat? Um... quiet? Really quiet, actually."

As for the actual lap and the reduced-power, Holland explains:

"The lap itself was around 10 minutes Bridge to Gantry (in heavy traffic) but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that's my guess)."

"""

Over and out

Okay, I looked up Tesla at ring as requested. Specifically the Model S, since that is their flagship and the one I have direct experience driving. For reference, my summer daily shows 8:32 and my winter daily (same car but with a solid roof) is 8:22. That's stock. Both of mine have minor mods. So on to the review of the Model S at the ring.

"""
For Holland, this was his first time driving a pure electric vehicle at the Ring and he was mostly impressed:

"Yes, it was heavy. Yes, it had almost no mechanical grip. And yes, the steering was as numb as my jaw after a trip to the dentist. However, considering that the Model S is a brand new car, from a car company that didn't exist 10 years ago, using technology that had (at the time of founding of the company) never been successfully mass produced on any large scale, I am suitably impressed."

"So what was the lap like from the drivers seat? Um... quiet? Really quiet, actually."

As for the actual lap and the reduced-power, Holland explains:

"The lap itself was around 10 minutes Bridge to Gantry (in heavy traffic) but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that's my guess)."

"""

Over and out
I don't know when that happened, but I think Tesla has improved battery cooling a bunch in the last few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't as big of a deal anymore. Even my wife's Kia EV has a battery cooler and heater to prevent that.

From my perspective, sports cars are likely the hardest thing for the EV market to break into, but a vast majority of driving happens in mid-sized SUVs and F150 pickup truck-type-vehicles. So they have plenty of vehicles to replace before they have to take on my sports car. That said, Tesla's "all go-no-turn" design is basically how muscle cars work, and how just about every American "go fast" car works... So perhaps it is better to compare it to a Charger/Challenger instead of a Miata or 370z.

That said, sports-car manufacturers have been making it easier for about 20 years, the 'fun' factor of cars has been going way downhill since the 90s. Ever since flappy-paddle gearboxes, traction control, emissions crap, and Gen-2 ABS, sports cars got boring. I'll take my 90 Nissan Z car or a 98 VIper over whatever Ferrari came out recently. Sure, the Ferrari might be fancy and fast, but they aren't FUN anymore. The closest we get these days is the Miata/MX5 stuff, but even those are gutless and full of nanny state garbage anyway.

So I guess the point of my rant is: Sports cars are probably some of the LAST things to go EV, but thats ok because the market for them is comparatively small, and if they keep up their current progress, they'll be way easier to beat by then.

Their are high end EV sports cars out there and they are stupid fast. Just not in reach of the everyday man.
Ive seen videos of a Tesla blowin the doors off a hellcat at the strip. Give me 500* hp with a manual and Ive in heaven :p

Refining gas is just one of the many costs associated with gas. Refining vs driving: yes those are equal. But now the gas doesn't have to be extracted, distributed,shipped or pumped.
or taxed :) Here in Vancouver, BC tax is $2.43/gal and a gal costs ~ $7.60 CAD (imperial gallon =4.54 L vs 3.78L for a US gal)

Gas tax is the USA (per gal) is 18cents federal and ranges from 14cents in Alaska to 67cents in CA, averaging 33cents per state

Last edited:
Millions and millions of cars driving 24/7 around the world, most are ice. Electric has a long way to go.

Back