Electric Vehicles on the horizon? Do your homework

I guess when we view skewed statistics every thing will be Skewed.
I feel ripped off by the whole battery power tools fiasco.
None of them seem to be any good.
Cars running on batteries..... Bwahahaha a very mean joke perpetrated on a very gullible public.
I've been an EV owner for 3.5 years and could not be happier. I do kinda miss changing oil, rebuilding starters and alternators and doing the brakes lol. Do not miss visiting the gas station. One thing that concerns me greatly is a breakdown out of warranty.

Battery powered tools for me have been revolutionary (for home/shop use) since Lith-ion became mainstream

I've had excellent service from most of my battery powered tools. Porter cable, and Makita have held up well, and I'd have a hard time going back to pluging something in every time I needed to put in a screw, or remove a nut or bolt. the 1/2' drive Milwaukee I got recently produces 1400flbs of torque, and if it's not welded on, it's coming off. My air impacts rarely get used anymore. It would be nice if the batteries were more environmentally friendly, but battery tech is moving fast, and I think in the coming years we will see some pretty amazing stuff. Mike

I feel ripped off by the whole battery power tools fiasco.
None of them seem to be any good.

My non appreciation of the battery tools is proabably more about the quality of the tools themselves, most of them develop chuck wobble very quickly nowadays under very small, light work loads, where as drills of the old era would take a severe hiding day in day out and still not have chuck wobble after years of work.
Saddly all the new battery powered stuff will mostly be made in China where they don't seem to care how much plastic they make and how much wildlife and trees they burn to make it.
In the enviromental sense I think the over use of plastic in these new cars and batteries will be the death of us all. how it can be greener still has me scratching my head, plastic is poison and it permeates at a molecular level.

I recently purchased an electric push mower. A higher end one. It sucks. Low power, flimsy, and sluggish response. So disappointed in it that I don't even use it; relying on the (gas) tractor and weed whacker. So, when electric cars can match my 20 year old daily driver, wake me up. I tain't going backwards.

Everything has it's own use.
I love my battery powered mower but I wouldn't try to clear a field with it.
I love my battery powered scooter but I wouldn't try drive across the country with it. :grin:

In general I think things are just underbuilt these days, electric or not.
Most modern cars have tons more problems after just a few years than my 25 year old Golf does, that's just how it is in modern society where the biggest priority is making everything as cheap as possible to stay competetive.
This is a problem that goes far beyond just the automotive industry.

One real problem with electric vehicles is IMHO the cost, currently it's both cheaper in purchase and maintenance to just buy an older car that pollutes way more, than it is to get an electric vehicle that's so expensive that the interest kills you.
Another is our current battery technologies, one is dirtier than the other and as far as I know, all of the popular ones require rare materials that can only be sourced from a few countries.
It doesn't help that these countries generally have awful working conditions.
A third issue just top of mind is how will you charge all these vehicles once it gets widespread?
Here in southern sweden we occassionally have to import coal power from denmark, so suddenly you're charging your "clean" car with "dirty" energy. :rolleyes:

It's a complicated issue with many different subproblems.

I recently purchased an electric push mower. A higher end one. It sucks. Low power, flimsy, and sluggish response. So disappointed in it that I don't even use it; relying on the (gas) tractor and weed whacker. So, when electric cars can match my 20 year old daily driver, wake me up. I tain't going backwards.

Acceleration is only a small part of vehicle performance. You will note no one EVER quotes slalom times for a Tesla. Overweight wallowing pigs when you attempt to make them turn.

Look up Nurburgring Tesla. The ‘ring is quite a bit of slalom. Don’t remember seeing the Ring number for the Ford F-150 btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take away gas and Diesel engines
how are you going to charge it
people don’t wan nuclear, coal, or anyother type of electrical generators
no Mater what charging system you use there is still polluting

Back