Drum switch wiring 120 volt

Oh that's a good question- they need to be in the same phase or else they will fight each other. The motor would just hum or maybe
turn slowly but it wouldn't run properly
It's kinda hard to explain but they both need to be riding on the same side of the ac waveform. The ac is going plus and minus 60 times
per second and if one winding is going plus while the other is going minus then they cancel each other out- see?
It's like shorting the output of a transformer- in this case the motor would be trying to turn in both directions at once, that was the
reason for doing the two run tests in post #27- they need to be in phase and ready to turn the motor in the same direction when
the start winding says "go"

That Nikola Tesla was one smart guy- makes Edison look like a schoolboy

Last edited:
Got you. Well, if that is the case, I will swap wires to make it work right!

Ok, test done and the motor works perfectly. All wired up, and waiting on the next phase.

And I get you about the phase change, I just haddent thought of it. Getting into this part of motors wasn't covered in school, unfortunately. Just how to hook them up, and if they didn't work, go to a new motor. Never worried about rebuilding fractional motors, just scrapped them.

Excellent. Did you have to swap 3 and 4 or did it work as I had drawn it?

Well shoot heck, that's great
Reddy Kilowatt is ready to serve you :)
Be sure to post some pics of your machine when you get it all together

Last edited:
I'll bet there was an addendum sheet included with the motor when it shipped explaining about a last-minute engineering change
That's why it didn't match the data plate. Leland is/was an obscure brand, I don't see them very often- I'm glad we sleuthed it out

Last edited:
Back