Drum switch wiring 120 volt

Ktencza

Registered
Registered
I have a furnas r44 drum switch for my jet lathe with a dayton single phase motor, I want to wire for 120 volt cannot figure this out for reverse working also can some one help. Enclosed are pictures of switch and back of motor, still have the 3 phase wire ill be using colors are green, red, white, black.20230514_153919.jpg20230514_161839.jpg20230514_151809.jpg

You're in luck- you have the best drum switch for use with a Dayton motor
I'll post a sketch for you shortly
-Mark
This should do it: configure the motor for 115 then make the changes shown: (brown and white wires as per motor diagram for 115)
Extend the red, black, 2 and 5 to reach the drum switch-using 1/4" lugs +heatshrink tubing makes for a clean install
Don't forget safety ground wire to motor case and switch enclosure both (not shown)
12 gauge stranded wire should be fine- any thicker will be hard to stuff into switch box- 14 gauge wire is fine for motor red, black, 2 and 5
Swap red and black if required for rotation vs. switch handle
Furn44Dayt115.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you brother just got the lathe all cleaned and gone through need that reverse working lol.

Am I still configuring the red and black in motor for 120v or just extending straight to switch, thank you again much.

You extend the red and black straight to the switch- that requires adding to the length with extra wire and either soldering or slip-on lugs
The red, black, 2 and 5 wires are low current starting wires so can be thinner like 14 or even 16 gauge wire
The ones to motor terminals 1 and 4 should be heavier like 12 gauge wire

Last edited:
Yeah they don't give you much room in there-using thinner wires where you can makes it a bit easier-
Glad to hear you got it going
-M

I have a similar question, but different in the specifics enough that I could use a little help.

I have a Leland Faraday 1/2 horse, with the motor leads being 2,4,5 (wired together right now) and 3,8 (wired together) with a blue wire. I need to hook this up to a Square D drum switch. All wires are black and numbered, except the blue wire. I currently is set up to run on 115VAC. This is the motor that came with the lathe, and while I didn't wire it up, I did check to make sure it works. Obviously, the ground needs attaching.

This has been my hold up to going forward with my SB9, and when I can get it off my bench I can move on to the carriage.

Thanks in advance!

I bit of poking around the internet, and I found this:

It took a bit to decipher it, but it seems like it should work (I would have drawn it a bit different, for clarity.)

Back