Drilling problems with a 9a

I do baby them with oil and a minor advance every few seconds, pulling out occasionally to clear the chips. Regardless of your doubt, my method didn't change and I was clearly breaking them before and am not breaking them now. :)

That said, I did use new bits (since my old ones broke), so it could arguably also be a bad batch, though they were shaking before and they aren't anymore.

On that note Ted, if the goal is to drill centers for turning on centers, is there a "faster" method than center bits? I know some people prefer spotting bits.

I use center drill for both centers for turning on centers and for starting a drill. I know lots of guys use spotting drills for starting holes for drilling and that might be better for that, but I don't have any so I use center drills.

Like I said, without seeing what you are doing and not knowing your experience level I was just sharing what I've seen/learned in the past. Didn't mean to say or imply you didn't know how to run a center drill. Just throwing things out in an attempt to help.

Ted

Back